Like Tree13Likes

Australian Prime Minister does it again!!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The position of the "fake Aussi prime minister" doesn't seem very different from the official German position (which I whole heartedly support):

BBC NEWS | Europe

Germany is drawing up a new contract to bind new immigrants to the country's values, officials say.

Newcomers should learn German and uphold values such as freedom of speech and sexual equality, said Commissioner for Immigration Maria Boehmer.

In return, immigrants could expect "help and support", Dr Boehmer said.

"Anyone who wants to live here for a long time and who wants to work has to say 'Yes' to our country," she told the Stuttgarter Nachrichten newspaper.

"We will draw up contracts with new immigrants," said Dr Boehmer.

"In those contracts will be set out what they can expect in terms of support and help. But they will also set out what we can expect from immigrants.

"Everyone who wants to live and work here long term must say 'Yes' to our country. And for that we need a commonly accepted set of values.

"These include a good knowledge of the German language, but also a readiness to take part in society."

'Demographic problems'

Dr Boehmer said the number of highly qualified immigrants coming to Germany was too small.

The country must become more attractive to give it "the expertise that will enable us to ensure our leading economic role in world markets", she said.

"Our demographic problems won't be solved through immigration... But, we must also make sure we harness the potential of immigrants already living here.

"For that, we need good language teaching, schooling and a better recognition of qualifications gained abroad," added Dr Boehmer.

Germany, which has around 15 million immigrants out of a population of around 82 million, last year introduced a test for would-be citizens on key facts about the country.

Tinkerbell, thanks for your negative (and bizzare) comment. You gave me a grey (not red) card btw.

A few years ago a Muslim cleric (the Imam in Sydney I think) likened women who do not wear headscarves with "uncovered meat". There was an outcry after this with many people including Howard who was PM then denouncing the cleric's words. Muslim groups also joined in the condemnation. The Imam (or mufti) was replaced with a more 'moderate' one.

Could be the spam email that is circulating came from Howards condemnation of the Imam's words.

Such statements (by the Imam) show a lack of respect for the values of the country he adopted. I have no problem with Muslims wearing headscarves and practising their religion in their homes and mosques but they should respect the values of the society they adopt just like I would respect theirs if I chose to live in a predominantely Muslim country. Fortunately instances such as these have not arisen since.

Many western countries would be nothing without its immigrant population. Many often come in with work ethic and family values that have been either forgotten or were never there in the first place.

As long as immigrants don't break local laws, they should be allowed and encouraged to live life the way they want just like anyone else without necessarily conforming to what some expect.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Pinkelin:
    The position of the "fake Aussi prime minister" doesn't seem very different from the official German position (which I whole heartedly support):

Newcomers should learn German.

"Anyone who wants to live here for a long time and who wants to work has to say 'Yes' to our country," she told the Stuttgarter Nachrichten newspaper.

"Everyone who wants to live and work here long term must say 'Yes' to our country. And for that we need a commonly accepted set of values.

"These include a good knowledge of the German language, but also a readiness to take part in society."

Germany, which has around 15 million immigrants out of a population of around 82 million, last year introduced a test for would-be citizens on key facts about the country.[/INDENT]
    Well a lot of us expats would be stuffed if they introduced this in HK.

How many of us have a good knowledge of Cantonese (written as well as spoken)? Do we all accept the common values of Hong Kong people? Could we pass the test (in Cantonese)?

I wonder if anyone else can see the irony of expats complaining about immigrants?

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I wonder if anyone else can see the irony of expats complaining about immigrants?
    Every time. Trouble is these immigrants just come to our country to get a better life, don't speak the language and don't attempt to fit in. Then all they do is complain about the country and how rude and racist the people are. Why don't they just bugger off home? Ah but we are different...because? Perhaps it is because we quietly hide ourselves away in LKF and Wan Chai?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Every time. Trouble is these immigrants just come to our country to get a better life, don't speak the language and don't attempt to fit in. Then all they do is complain about the country and how rude and racist the people are. Why don't they just bugger off home? Ah but we are different...because? Perhaps it is because we quietly hide ourselves away in LKF and Wan Chai?
    Because we have good salaries and contribute to the country by investing our money here.

Because we respect the law. (I am not saying that migrants in Europe don't respect the law, but there is a larger percentage of migrants in prison than locals, considering the number of each group).

Because we don't insist that the locals adapt to our way of life and change their laws to fit our values.

Because we don't live off the welfare state (because there isn't any).

That's because! Nobody in Europe is against hard working migrants who respect all the laws and pay all the taxes they owe. But people don't like migrants who come and steal, live off the welfare state that other people are paying for, and expect the locals to change their ways of life.

Period. Now go post "troll".

I have no problem with people believing whatever religion they want, wearing what they want as long as they abide by the law of the country that has allowed them to live there but things become ridiculous when minorities have more rights than the majority. When schools can no longer sing christmas carols and shopping centres can't put up nativity scenes then that is a major problem.

When I go to Saudi I am expected to cover up, I am expected to behave like a local woman (with all the ridiculous customs that entails). Yet when a Hijab wearing Moslem goes to a Western country no one expects her to forgo the Hijab and dress like a local.

More than anything however, I just don't get why the more extreme Muslims would even want to live among us. I certainly wouldn't want to live in any country that upheld morals I couldn't abide by.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal:
    When schools can no longer sing christmas carols and shopping centres can't put up nativity scenes then that is a major problem.
    If it's a public school then it needs to serve the whole public not just part of it. That's the separation of church and state. It's funny that some people still think of countries like Canada, the US or Australia as white and christian.

In Canada, some people get pissed off because banks will offer different language choices like chinese. The reality is that in Vancouver(not GVRD but the city itself), the largest single groups is now chinese and not wasp.

In the US, several states already have hispanic communities larger than all the others.

Societies have to change and adapt to changing times. Old fossils like to hold on to the old days but people have to face the fact that populations are moving and even though rural areas tend to stay fairly homogenous, many countries have to move forward and adapt to its new population.

The country I grew up in doesn't exist anymore, it's a brand new place and it needs new rules...Simple as that

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast