Like Tree1Likes

St. Valentine gift for girlfriend who already has everything she needs (my heart)?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker:
    Okay, so it might be somewhat a stretch to manage a scuba diving holiday in the Maldives on that budget, so I thought of something else.

I would look into the possibility of a weekend getaway to one of the outlying islands. Either Lantau or Lamma come to mind. Wonder if anything is available in Sai Kung too. If you're interested, I'll try to look it up.
    You beat me to that idea. I was planning to suggest somthing like that. This was my idea - There's a nice seafacing hotel in discovery bay, that OP can manage in his budget. Won't it be perfect to spend an evening walking down beach, hand-in-hand, then having nice dinner (candlit, cheesy!), and in the morning wake up to the quiet sound of the waves and birds. Have breakfast and then catch the ferry back to where ever you live i.e. HK or Kowloon.

Couldn't find it on google . Can anyone help?
    But the hotel is located on the rightside of the Plaza close to the Ferry Pier, overlooking the beach.
    Last edited by gunsnroses; 05-02-2010 at 05:52 PM.

There is no hotel in DB. There is one coming up below the Chianti as I understand, but that is obviously not an option at this time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Don't have a suggestion but related question. Someone recommend a really good online florist?

I saw a nice keychain at Shanghai Tang with a flower and a heart dangling from it, you can get that engraved with a message for her? It's the kind of present she will always have with her ... It was $480, guess it won't cost that much to get an engraving.

Dragonair's inflight store has got a really nice bracelet by Jakk, adorned with Swarovski crystals which look stunning on any lady's wrists, if you have any friend or acquaintance flying on Dragonair from now until just before Valentine's Day. They sell for approx HKD600~.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Frankly, if she's going to give you this much grief just over Valentine's day, your best bet is to find another girlfriend - one who can communicate.

Assuming that's not an option, sounds like she wants something impressive that she can show off to her friends and work colleagues. Something shiny, sparkly and expensive looking will do the trick. You could also consider sending a bunch of flowers to her office on the Friday afternoon with the message that you can't wait to spend the whole of Valentine's Day weekend spoiling her rotten.

Thank you all for your comments. Actually she is a very kind, altruistic, humble, gentle and sweet girl, and not someone out for shiny, sparkly and expensive-looking things. And finding a new girlfriend is definitely not an option because the sex is great!

I found out that she doesn't like chocolate, so that is out. I also found out that she ordered something from Japan for me. She likes to spoil me with gifts, most of which I don't need (which annoys me because she is wasting money. I told her I am going to get a box to put all the useless things she buys).

Yes, maybe a piece of jewelry with both our names engraved. I forgot what day we met, how can I let her tell me without she noticing I forgot?

The week-end off somewhere is a good idea, but I think for Valentine she wants something she can keep.

Quote Originally Posted by Katiedot:
    Frankly, if she's going to give you this much grief just over Valentine's day, your best bet is to find another girlfriend - one who can communicate.

Assuming that's not an option, sounds like she wants something impressive that she can show off to her friends and work colleagues. Something shiny, sparkly and expensive looking will do the trick.
    While that is a possibility, I think that since we don't know whether this is true, it is a harsh statement to make. What's wrong with wanting to be surprised?

For the first two years in my relationship I totally sucked at getting her presents mostly because everything I looked at didn't seem 'good enough' for her. That isn't her giving me grief. That's me giving myself grief and it sounds a lot like what Mr. No is going through right now.

I have found that the key to knowing her tastes and preferences, that is if you are interested, is to join her when she is out spoiling herself with a dose of retail therapy and just observe. In my experience that is the best way to know what to get when it's your turn to surprise her. Flip-side to this could be having to buy stuff for her a lot of the time, which can be very expensive if she buys stuff randomly rather than picking and choosing. Lucky for me she is happy doing most of her own shopping, and doesn't mind if I buy her a dress or a pair of wedges now and then, so not 100% expecting of or dependent on me. She is a discerning shopper, not of price but of style.

Alternatively, you could simply observe how she dresses, for example what kind of dresses she wears to start with, and what kind of footwear and accessories she wears with dresses of a colour or length or for occasions is all very helpful. Flip-side to this is that you do not know what she tries on but decides against. Worst case you end up getting her something similar to what she already has, but that is still an extra item in the wardrobe that she can choose from.

Doing this legwork in the beginning is an exercise in endurance, but it'll pay off because you will get that it isn't rocket science. Getting a feel for her style allows you to be bold and creative and to get her something she has never had on before (a real surprise), but you know it'll look great on her without being hindered by 'reason', which is the biggest cause of indecision. Visualise her wearing, say an accessory you have spotted, which you think would look great on her with her favourite dress. If it'll look GREAT, get it. Otherwise it stinks. You will get it right most of the time, but accept that it won't be 100% of the time.

In order to really nail it start looking early, even if it means having to keep it hidden somewhere for weeks before you give it to her. That way, rather than scrambling at the last minute and settling for random shit, something nice will jump out at you as the perfect gift. THAT, my friend, gives you peace of mind and you can calmly focus on planning the weekend without worry.

Oh and the trips to the mall with her, you'll have to keep it up at least once every season, because as her tastes change you may want to keep up. It is just a half-day's work (you would do it if you care and it shows). As a side note, however, it is imperative that you DO NOT CARRY HER SHOPPING, or her handbag (as Load Toad calls it, the man purse). Never make that mistake. Ever. That is where you draw the line with chivalry. Sorry I felt compelled to throw that one in. But you probably already know this.

Toughest area, in my opinion, is footwear. It's the only thing I have never bothered with because that'll send even Don Juan in a spin.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 06-02-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker:
    There is no hotel in DB. There is one coming up below the Chianti as I understand, but that is obviously not an option at this time.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I am pretty sure there was one last year around this time, when I went up hiking to DB (mui wo is it?) and while coming back we landed at this place, had a beer to compensate for the loss of calories during the hike and a friend of mine even enquired the rates there.

Thanks a lot. I should hang out more with her when she goes shopping, but it's soooo boring. Why do women look at 1,000 pieces of clothing before buying one?

If I can't find a nice piece of jewelry I might end up buying something I like and then ask astonished "What? You don't like it????"