Like Tree45Likes

What do you love, hate about HK?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    HKIA is a great airport; rivals Changi. Actually KLIA is not bad these days with the new terminal and new rail link. Bangkok is a shed - distances make connections a nightmare; Manila is a joke. Aussie airport are OK, the smaller the better ....Heathrow T5 is passable; the rest of Heathrow is a nightmare. Bristol and Birmingham are the only airports in the UK I don't mind....
    Birmingham gets a big thumbs up from me. Love that airport...

Hate: Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton (apart from private aviation terminal ie Signature / Harrods), Manchester, Glasgow, Dublin, Liverpool.

Love: Cardiff, Belfast (both), Inverness, Edinburgh, Newcastle, East Midlands, London City, Cork, Shannon, Aberdeen, Isle of Man.

Amused by: Teesside, Norwich, Exeter, Coventry (!) Airports for managing to stay in business.

Basically if I can arrive at an airport 40 minutes prior to departure & still be confident of getting through security in time - the place is fine with... (Obviously talking domestic travel here).

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    Don't agree with you on Stansted - it's no Changi granted, but it's head and shoulders ahead of Heathrow in my opinion.

I don't like HK airport for several reasons. I don't like the way it has two terminals when all the boarding gates are in the same place regardless. It's more walking and seems to have been done for no good reason I can see.

Getting around is complicated and often badly signposted. Most of the time the air conditioners are musty so some of the departure gates smell disgusting.

Overall I never have a positive experience flying into or, more specifically, out of HK airport.
    If you insist on using Heathrow as your baseline, almost any airport is going to be stellar.

Just about any airport in London sucks from the transport perspective. You have to give yourself a huge margin for error in case the bloody transport breaks down. Give me an extra 10 minutes of walking from T2 at HKIA vs worring about whether British Rail is going to experience yet another delay.
    Last edited by jgl; 12-04-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christickler:
    Basically if I can arrive at an airport 40 minutes prior to departure & still be confident of getting through security in time - the place is fine with... (Obviously talking domestic travel here).
    But you can do that with international travel from Hong Kong (45 to be safe if you need to check a bag, but even 30 is doable with online checkin, hand carry only and a nearby gate), so surely it's even better?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    But you can do that with international travel from Hong Kong (45 to be safe if you need to check a bag, but even 30 is doable with online checkin, hand carry only and a nearby gate), so surely it's even better?
    Indeed, in the other direction, my record for catching a bus on arriving in HKIA is 6 minutes from arriving at the gate ... (yes, it was Gate 4, but still ... I've done it in less than 15 mins from further gates!).

I can't imagine doing that for an international arrival at many airports!

I don't like the loud snot-snorting-gurgling noises that people make repeatedly in public. Blow it out into a tissue then be done with it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

The few things that I dislike about Hong Kong are so trivial when weighing them up against the pros. The truth is that no matter how much I bitch (I don't, actually - I love it here) about the place, the people, the way things just 'are', I would still rather not live anywhere else.

When the commies finally arrive (much, much further down the line), I'm a scootin' the FUCK out and by then hopefully I will have sorted myself out somewhere else! God I hate them commies.

HKIA has got to be one of the best in the world. This Easter (when the entire city was travelling) I was still at the Peak having coffee with a friend at 12.15pm and made it to the airport, through immigration and security before 2pm leaving me time for another coffee and a bit of book shopping before boarding the plane.

Although I did have to wait 9 1/2 minutes for my luggage to hit the carousel on my way back in to HK which is the longest I've ever had to wait.

Seriously, this has got to be the best ever airport (as airports go).

HKIA is a great airport; rivals Changi. Actually KLIA is not bad these days with the new terminal and new rail link. Bangkok is a shed - distances make connections a nightmare; Manila is a joke. Aussie airport are OK, the smaller the better ....Heathrow T5 is passable; the rest of Heathrow is a nightmare. Bristol and Birmingham are the only airports in the UK I don't mind....

birmingham is fine, shame they don't have direct flights to Hk from there!

You really have been unlucky - or just never experienced a REALLY bad airport. Try flying Cathay into Manila and see how you feel then!

HKIA is efficient, short queues, decent facilities, excellent public transport to/from the airport and rarely the cause of air-traffic-delays. Can't do much better. I've never smelt musty aircon (but then I don't look for it).
    Unfortunately I've been to plenty of crap airports.

I'm not saying that HK is the worst airport anywhere but I just don't think it's very good. Maybe I have been unlucky but after using it over a dozen times over the past 6 months or so I never look forward to going.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    birmingham is fine, shame they don't have direct flights to Hk from there!
    As often as possible - I fly indirectly into Birmingham than directly to Heathrow... There are so many options ie EK via DXB, KL via AMS, AF via CDG, LH via FRA, LX via Zurich.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast