Like Tree4Likes

Chinese state media and racism

Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,907
    Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake
    Offensive humour in a comedy club is one thing. When it appears on official Government news websites it's another.
    Same thing happened on French national TV in Canada for a New Years show last year. People complained, the show wasn't on last year and life moves on...

    Here someone screwed up, they probably got complaints and they took it down immediately.

    Frankly, the only thing that can be said here is that someone showed poor taste and they happened to be working on a government outfit. You people constantly complain about repression in China, lack of freedom blah, blah, blah and then still find something to complain when someone tries to do something original because you don't like it.

    Bet some of you were outraged when the muslim jokes in the Netherlands caused all the commotion and you were probably thinking that the muslims shouldn't be so sensitive...

    I bet you I could find more than a few jokes from national leaders in various countries that didn't go over so well...

    We could start with Obama's joke about the special Olympics... What is a symptom of tone deafness that the americans constantly display towards the welfare of its people!!!!
    PDLM likes this.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Discovery Bay
    Posts
    5,015
    Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk
    Bet some of you were outraged when the muslim jokes in the Netherlands caused all the commotion and you were probably thinking that the muslims shouldn't be so sensitive...
    Are you talking about that Dutch MP who circulated those Danish cartoons? If so, there is a clear double-standard there as far as I am concerned.

    I remember reading about Condaleezza Rice's visit to China in 2005 (I think) and stumbled upon this link in my search for some material covering that visit: Martin Jacques: The Middle Kingdom mentality | World news | The Guardian

  3. #13

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Back in California (finally!).
    Posts
    2,079

    I am not sure if I understand Dreadnought's point (is he implying Martin Jacques is wrong?) but Gilly's comment about the double standard misses the point completely. It isn't a question of "freedom of speech", or, as in the case of the Muhammed cartoons, "don't print this or we will kill you", as they actually did in the case of Theo Van Gogh. Nobody should deny anyone the right to say pretty much anything they want to, and that, of course, includes the Chinese government. But as I said before, the only reason this is significant is that it was put out by the Chinese government - I do think it is an interesting slip-up on their part, in that it shows a disconnect between perceptions, but it is not otherwise significant. As Gilly points out, somebody noticed it, said 'oh oh', and pulled it. Still, if you have a State controlled media, the government does have to take responsibility for what it presents.

    It is certainly true that a degree of racism exists in China and among Chinese people that would not be socially acceptable in the West. On the other hand, the racism is usually of a more theoretical kind - it's not as though the Chinese are going to Africa and enslaving black people, or anything; but we've seen what racism combined with an agressive foreign policy leads to courtesy of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere. In China these days the ignorance is generally (leaving out, for example, imperialism in Tibet, etc.) simply a matter of personal ignorace, and is not directly harming anyone.

    Last edited by Freetrader; 14-08-2010 at 06:30 PM.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Darkside
    Posts
    1,589

    It doesn't look much different to the humour in western media to be quite honest - there is plenty of this stuff e.g. bad plastic surgery, what they'll look like when old, bad photoshop, if he was a she.

    Is possibly being racially insensitive better or worse than being insensitive to looks, age, gender or sexuality?


  5. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader
    I am not sure if I understand Dreadnought's point (is he implying Martin Jacques is wrong?) but Gilly's comment about the double standard misses the point completely. It isn't a question of "freedom of speech", or, as in the case of the Muhammed cartoons, "don't print this or we will kill you", as they actually did in the case of Theo Van Gogh. Nobody should deny anyone the right to say pretty much anything they want to, and that, of course, includes the Chinese government. But as I said before, the only reason this is significant is that it was put out by the Chinese government - I do think it is an interesting slip-up on their part, in that it shows a disconnect between perceptions, but it is not otherwise significant. As Gilly points out, somebody noticed it, said 'oh oh', and pulled it. Still, if you have a State controlled media, the government does have to take responsibility for what it presents.

    It is certainly true that a degree of racism exists in China and among Chinese people that would not be socially acceptable in the West. On the other hand, the racism is usually of a more theoretical kind - it's not as though the Chinese are going to Africa and enslaving black people, or anything; but we've seen what racism combined with an agressive foreign policy leads to courtesy of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere. In China these days the ignorance is generally (leaving out, for example, imperialism in Tibet, etc.) simply a matter of personal ignorace, and is not directly harming anyone.
    And how does it differ from Obama making the bowling and special olympics joke. He's got speechwriters up the wazzoo and it slipped out...

    As for racism, I don't think americans are in a position to look down on anyone will all the issues you have... Anyway, racism exists everywhere and I'd say chinese are on average far less obvious than westerners on that point.

    I wonder if they would have acted like hysterical sissies like many americans did after 9/11 kicking anyone that looked like they might be muslims out of airplanes and making up stupid airline rules that are mostly cosmetic. Who knows? Maybe China would have lined them all up to be executed, they're pretty good at that...

    Kudos for electing a black president with a muslim sounding name though... I guess Bush did something good, pissed enough people off that they would have voted for anyone against the republicans.
    Last edited by gilleshk; 14-08-2010 at 07:35 PM.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Back in California (finally!).
    Posts
    2,079
    Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk
    As for racism, I don't think americans are in a position to look down on anyone will all the issues you have... .
    Gilly, I'll just ignore most of your typical trollish string of non-sequiters and simply comment that actually, the US should be (and is) a model for countries around the world - the "problems" you note are issues in dealing with a truly multi-cultural nation, and on the whole the US handles them admirably. There isn't a more diverse country in the world than the US, and that is in fact one of the reasons the US has been so succesful.

    So, it would be best if you would try and avoid topics of which you are apparently completely ignorant, but I suppose that would be asking too much of your limited abilities. In any case, lashing out at the US and attempting to start an off-topic argument isn't very interesting anymore.
    Last edited by Freetrader; 14-08-2010 at 08:01 PM.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,907

    Ignorant yet I have to once again point out your poor use of latin... It would be non sequitur. If you're going to try to sound intelligent, you should at least know how to spell it. You're such a poser...

    Still wouldn't comment on why it's worse for chinese media to make a joke than Obama making a joke at the expense of special olympics or Radio Canada airing a show with a multitude of racial jokes. Why is it worse in China?

    You come out of your little closet calling chinese racists yet you can't even acknowledge the problems in your own country. Ever heard of the Ku Klux Klan? Racial profiling?

    True that the US is one of the countries with the most diversity and that on the whole, it works pretty well but it sure doesn't mean there isn't racism.

    How about France with Le Pen... or the Belgium government banning burqas? How about threads on this very board that come up every week calling HKers rude.

    As I said, there are plenty of things wrong in China, focusing on a stupid attempt at humor is frankly just as stupid...


  8. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,970

    Somewhat related ... I was in Shanghai today and all over the place there are big billboards about the Expo (obviously). One set has a row of children at the bottom - the gist of it appears to be (I cannot read chinese) a sort of promotion of 'multicultural' something ... anyway .... I thought they were a mix of races until I looked more closely ... actually half the kids were some form of white, a couple of chinese types and an indian type. No black at all. It just struck me that's all.


  9. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,907

    Just as an aside, China is very present in Africa these day and pumping a lot of money there. Of course, it's all about resources but they're still out there big time. I cycled on really beautiful paved roads in Ethiopia and Sudan thanks to our northern comrades. Most people there have a very good opinion about China over there.


  10. #20

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    4,152

    Well talking Africa - China really does know how to play the game out there and are getting a damn site more than they're putting in. They've certainly sussed business out there.
    Posted via Mobile Device


Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast