Mainland battles massive traffic jam

Closed Thread

Mainland battles massive traffic jam

From RTHK:

A traffic jam in China that stretches more than a hundred kilometres has been going on now for nine days.

A large number of cars and trucks are stranded on the national expressway linking the capital Beijing to Inner Mongolia. The gridlock has been caused by roadworks, broken-down vehicles and the increased use of the expressway.
    With the vast number of new cars added every month to the mainland's roads, and the very poor driving skills apparent, I wonder if this will be the first of many?

What I couldn't work out from that was whether they had been stuck for 9 days in the same place or whether there was movement but the traffic jam was still there (i.e. same jam, different very slowly moving cars).

I've seen multi-km long traffic jams in rural Pakistan that took a few hours to get through, and they were still there a week later when we came back along the same road.
    Maybe this is the case is China, the same jam exists for many days but not the same drivers.

dot.zen
    (at least I hope this is the case, it'd be pretty nasty to be stuck on the road in one place for a whole week).

I was in a traffic jam on a highway in Guangxi a few years ago. My bus was stationary for about 10 hours, overnight. Most of the other traffic was heavy trucks. There was no lighting on the highway, and all the vehicles turned off their lights, so it was quite an odd experience. I never found out what the hold-up was.