Like Tree2Likes

Hostage Standoff in the US

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fth:
    No paenme, it was another nutjob with a gun, an altogether frequent occurrence in the us. If you want examples of US police brutality and incompetence. Here are a few examples:
    The best (?) one I saw recently (maybe 4 months ago) from the USA was a elderly woman, who looked about 80 and was fairly unsteady on her feet, in the parking lot of a shopping centre giving a bit of lip to someone.

When the policeman came along she told him to mind his own business and the policeman, suddenly and violently threw the old woman to the ground. Clearly a massive over reaction by him.

All of the above was from my memory of the video, so may not be completely accurate (memory is very not reliable), but I remember I was shocked at the time about how the policeman became violent so quickly. Will have to try to find the video tonight.

There's a nasty one...

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    He's Korean not Chinese!
    Thanks for the correction - I did write 'possibly' - he has some kind of accent. If his name had been 'Park' or 'Kim' I would not have made that mistake.

Can't say that those examples, fft, particularly upset me. Cops put their lives on the line and don't take a lot of shit in the US. On the other hand there is relatively little police corruption in the US.

The fact that you had to reach back to 1991 to pull out the Rodney King video is rather hilarious - if only because given that King sent the cops on a high speed chase and had to be wrestled to the ground by five cops (since he was off his mind on PCP and basically unstoppable) he kind of had it coming. Cops are supposed to exercise more restraint than these guys did though.

By the way, I didn't see any hostages being killed in any of those vids...

Last edited by Freetrader; 02-09-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Freetrader, I pulled out the old Rodney video to show a famous if somewhat old example of what happens when a lack of police restraint goes to far, judging by youtube results there are plenty of incidents of police violence, many with fatal results. Whilst cops do indeed put their lives on the line, it doesn't give them a right to practice a little whoopass.

I thought the Constitution also protected against actions without probable cause (4th amendment), without due process (5th amendment) and prohibits cruel and unusual punishment (8th amendement). I also thought many law enforcement officers also had a duty to protect and uphold the constitution. Beating someone to death in a DUI checkpoint seems to fail on all three.

Last edited by fth; 02-09-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fth:
    Freetrader, I pulled out the old Rodney video to show a famous if somewhat old example of what happens when a lack of police restraint goes to far, judging by youtube results there are plenty of incidents of police violence, many with fatal results. Whilst cops do indeed put their lives on the line, it doesn't give them a right to practice a little whoopass.

I thought the Constitution also protected against actions without probable cause (4th amendment), without due process (5th amendment) and prohibits cruel and unusual punishment (8th amendement). I also thought many law enforcement officers also had a duty to protect and uphold the constitution. Beating someone to death in a DUI checkpoint seems to fail on all three.
    I don't really disagree. It certainly is troubling if someone is killed at a DUI checkpoint - but it certainly doesn't happy very frequently, either. Before rushing to judgment I would want to know what happened. And, yes, I am a believer in the Constitution and the premise of probable cause (by the way, that doesn't apply when you are driving, due to the doctrine of "implied consent").

Haven't we had discussions many times on Japan before? You guys are apparently ignorant on this. If you missed the threads read Geoff's or Freetrader's comments about today's Japanese attitudes about the WWII history.

OK, let's leave the international animosities out of this if possible...

Yeah, I'm out. OK editor I'll put her on my ignore list.

This was the one I was thinking of.
    Corrections: It was a policewoman that did the voilent bit, but she had a partner with her. The old woman walked with a cane.
    The throwdown is about 00:40 in.