Like Tree27Likes

Nobel Peace Prize

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Why the hell does G Bay or the US needs to be brought into this discussion? While we're at it we can list all countries on the world which in some way violated human rights.

This is about Liu Xiao Bo's Nobel price, which by all means is a non-violent and very MODERATE advocate of free speech in China.

Freetrader likes this.

I'm Norwegian and about to renew my expired China visa for a business trip to Beijing. I guess I should think twice unless I want to be castrated at the border.

This prize is silly anyway. The truth is, it's a bunch of has-been politicians and a couple of part-time bureaucrat housewives that sits around a table talking about last weekend's hike in the forest with a cup of coffee while casually brainstorming potential winners.

It's a cliche.

Not taking anything away from the winners. Well deserved. But the award itself puzzles me.

Last edited by Master; 11-10-2010 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dansande:
    I agree that it is hypocritical for the US government to condemn human rights abuses in China or any other country. It should condemn human rights abuses in the countries that it gives military aid to. Furthermore, true patriots should generally be more concerned about their own governments than the governments of other countries unless their country is truly in danger of invasion by a foreign power which is certainly not the case in either the United States or China.
    I can anticipate that someone will come back with the retort that the United States does not violate the human rights of its own citizens on anything approaching the scale seen in the PRC. True but irrelevant. The fact that you use proxy armies to do your killing doesn't make it any less of a human rights violation. I also anticipate that some so-called patriot will deny that the US has ever enabled any serious atrocities. The well-documented case of the El Mozote massacre in El Salvador should really suffice to silence this nonsense. About a thousand men, women, and children were butchered by the Salvadoran army and forensic evidence was later uncovered by a team of Argentine pathologists which specifically linked the killings to the US Army.
    However, none of this, of course, excuses anything that goes on in the PRC. Saying 'well the Americans do it too' is really childish.
    Very typical, Chinese Nationalistic response - because no one is perfect, no one has the right to criticize the great PRC. If anyone criticizes the PRC, lash out at the USA. Compelte nonsense. If you want to criticize the US, there are plenty of forums for it. But the US has NOTHING to do with the Nobel Prize, which is awarded by Norwegians. Grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    Very typical, Chinese Nationalistic response - because no one is perfect, no one has the right to criticize the great PRC. If anyone criticizes the PRC, lash out at the USA. Compelte nonsense. If you want to criticize the US, there are plenty of forums for it. But the US has NOTHING to do with the Nobel Prize, which is awarded by Norwegians. Grow up.
    Oh, and dansande, Evem if your comment wasn't coming out of left field, I REALLY don't think you want to go down this route of comparing the human rights records of the US vs. the PRC. There is no moral equivalence.
    Gatts likes this.

Thank you, freetrader, I will now sleep much better at night knowing I am a citizen of a country that is not the moral equivalent of China. It's a real load off to know we aren't as bad as the PRC.

Quote Originally Posted by dansande:
    Thank you, freetrader, I will now sleep much better at night knowing I am a citizen of a country that is not the moral equivalent of China. It's a real load off to know we aren't as bad as the PRC.
    What exactly does this have to do with the Nobel Prize?

Chinese media are calling it a plot to contain china

Part of the plot to contain China

That's the CCP's paranoia from being in power for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Why does my opinion matter to you Freetrader ?

I wouldn't stand there and preach your one sided moral compass to me. Let me remind you of the many people that are behind bars in
    Guantánamo Bay who have never been given the human right of a fair trial. Don't you dare finger point.

If I am not mistaken, the USA has sedition laws Sedition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which gives it the power to jail citizens that are deemed recalcitrant enough to encourage others to go against the rule of govt, as does Australia, the UK, even Hong Kong, the facility in the law is there.

I.
    I'm sorry Skyhook, I didn't notice your post earlier. Of course, now that I've seen it, I know I needn't have bothered, since you are a complete idiot when it comes to anything having to do with China. Ah, yes, Chinese gulag = Guantanamo Bay. Talk about simple minded moral compass!

BTW, you don't need to provide me a link to any Midnight Oil songs to show what a deep political thinker you are. I have them all already, and did 25 years ago. In fact, I've had dinner with Peter Garrett. Did you know that he is a strong supporter of the US/Aussie alliance?

Anyway, as stated earlier, I'm more than happy to take you on anytime on any US or China issue. THIS particular thread, alas, is about the Nobel Prize. Please make relevant comments only. Thanks!
    Last edited by Freetrader; 11-10-2010 at 10:51 PM.
    Gatts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Chinese media are calling it a plot to contain china

Part of the plot to contain China
    That article could have been on The Onion. Incredible, Hilarious and sad at the same time. Would the writer really believe in what he's written?
    Freetrader likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast