Like Tree147Likes

Japan Earthquake & Pacific Tsunami

Closed Thread
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast

Don't think the reports on the fourth explosion are reliable. They're from 4 or 5 hours ago, when the third explosion happened.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLowrey:
    Are people willing to spend that 20 bucks yet? Thyroid cancer is one of the major effects of radiation exposure, how KI works is that by consuming enough iodide, your thyroid will stop absorbing radioactive iodide. Even if there's no immediate danger in HK, over a period of time there still might be a possibility that very small amounts of contaminated iodide can accumulate in your thyroid. Just remember you can't take it if you're allergic to shellfish.
    Yesterday I took a flight which passed near Japan. I have no intention of taking iodine tablets and had no qualms at all of taking the flight. I would still be happy to visit Tokyo without taking iodine. If I had a meeting at one of those power stations, or lived within a few km and had not been evacuated, I might take it as a precaution. Otherwise it's daft.

Original Post Deleted
    Fukushima to Hong Kong is 3,014.6 kilometers (1,873.19 miles). So technically we're not thousands of miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Goodness. What on earth could he have been thinking? I guess not of perhaps loved ones missing, the risk of explosion at any moment or the next tremor etc ....while doing his job or any other thing that perhaps those of us sitting thousands of miles away from this cannot possibly imagine.
    Are people willing to spend that 20 bucks yet? Thyroid cancer is one of the major effects of radiation exposure, how KI works is that by consuming enough iodide, your thyroid will stop absorbing radioactive iodide. Even if there's no immediate danger in HK, over a period of time there still might be a possibility that very small amounts of contaminated iodide can accumulate in your thyroid. Just remember you can't take it if you're allergic to shellfish.
    No, I'm building a fallout shelter in my studio. Also lining my apartment with tinfoil as head sweats when I wrap it around my head.

The local Welcome has just run out this morning so I have to hunt around for it. Looks like alot of people are doing the same as I in their apartment or just using it for hats.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    No, I'm building a fallout shelter in my studio. Also lining my apartment with tinfoil as head sweats when I wrap it around my head.

The local Welcome has just run out this morning so I have to hunt around for it. Looks like alot of people are doing the same as I in their apartment or just using it for hats.
    Here we go again.... What "conspiracy theory" are you accusing people of making up this time? Are you confusing simple safety measures with "major government cover-ups that the US caused the earthquake with HAARP as part of a eugenics program BS"?
    Last edited by MikeLowrey; 15-03-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:

Are you sure the tinfoil is sufficient? Perhaps you also need some thick panels of iron (a few flat bbq's side by side would do nicely).

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Are you sure the tinfoil is sufficient? Perhaps you also need some thick panels of iron (a few flat bbq's side by side would do nicely).
    Now that's just plain silly!!!

Does anyone else feel admiration for the Japanese people, as a whole, for the composure they've maintained throughout the crisis? As opposed to Western cultures where a lot of focus is placed on the individual, Japanese values centered on society and as a collective are proving to quite advantageous, at least for this particular disaster scenario. The looting and violence present in Haiti and Hurricane Katrina are largely absent (thus far).

Regardless of all the criticism that people have pointed out, nothing is perfect. Nothing can be 100% planned for in advanced. I think the Japanese people have already put on a fine display of maturity in the face of such a large scale crisis - 8.9 earthquake, 10 m tsunami, and nuclear disaster.

TheBrit, Beuze, bdw and 5 others like this.

Anyone really concerned about the long terms effect of day to day pollution (if they had a choice) would not be living in Hong Kong.

This story in Canada says what I was saying a day or so back about the public needing health news from independent sources and not filtered via a politician ---yes coordinate and work together through a common command post but ensure that the public in Japan and close by and the nervous Nellies HK feel they have the most creditable health news they can get.

They need a public health guru providing this stuff. It might be a lesson learned for next time as this is uncharted territory for even Japan - at least this scale and this threat. The French embassy are filling the vacuum? This quote says the politicians aren't on top of this and I return to the other key point before. GET A GUY WHO IS AN INDEPENDENT HEALTH GURU helping give out the right information and keep it flowing. I know I trusted our Chief Medical Health Officer in Vancouver as he was never afraid to tell the story and the politicians didn't dare touch him even when politically they did not agree.

At the same time... I think the officials and rescue workers are doing pretty damn good work given the circumstances they are in. Nothing has been like this double whammy nor at this scale in an economy so advanced as in Japan.

Radiation leaps after Japan plant blasts; Tokyo gets warning

By Taiga Uranaka and Ki Joon Kwon, Reuters March 15, 2011

"FUKUSHIMA, Japan — Japan warned radiation levels had become "significantly" higher around a quake-stricken nuclear power plant on Tuesday after explosions at two reactors, and the French embassy said a low-level radioactive wind could reach Tokyo within hours.

http://www.canada.com/news/Radiation...354/story.html

Prime Minister Naoto Kan urged people within 30 kilometres of the facility north of Tokyo to remain indoors and conserve power, underscoring the dramatic escalation of Japan's nuclear crisis, the world's most serious since the Chernobyl disaster in Ukraine in 1986."

And later in the story:

"Japanese media have became more critical of Kan's handling of the disaster and criticized the government and nuclear plant operator TEPCO for their failure to provide enough information on the incident.

Residents want information on the health risks."

Last edited by Football16; 15-03-2011 at 04:09 PM.

Here we go again.... What "conspiracy theory" are you accusing people of making up this time? Are you confusing simple safety measures with "major government cover-ups that the US caused the earthquake with HAARP as part of a eugenics program BS"?
    No, it's not a conspiracy theory it's just plain common sense. If the Chernybol disaster was to happen then the radioactive cloud may just hit HK but as the winds in winter in Japan move over the Pacific the likely cloud will have minimal effect on humans but you won't want to eat fish for a while.
    Last edited by virago; 15-03-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: edit out 'would' to 'may'

Closed Thread
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast