Like Tree147Likes

Japan Earthquake & Pacific Tsunami

Closed Thread
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by asianfever:
    Three reactors in Fukushima #1 plant have blown up, exploded. That means they have become uncontrolled, temperature wise. Meltdown is now fait a'ccompli. reactor #4 is on fire, which was caused by extremely high temperature used fuel rods located in the roof storage area to become exposed from its liquid bath, and now emitting radioactive isotopes freely into the atmosphere.
    Potassium Iodide, anyone?
    --
    I am expecting HK property values to begin to fall; and I won't be much interested until things settle at about 50% of what they are now. Until then, folks, enjoy your imminent black rain and radioactive wind.
    --
    I myself am off to a much safer, cleaner and nuclear-free area of the planet. Enjoy!
    Now this is about the dumbest prediction ever.

Property values falling in HK. Laughable. Prices do correct but not due to Japan's situation.

If you live in HK you have far more risk of pollution killing you or dying in a mini-bus or taxi than from Japan's radiation.

There are investment fund managers who only Japan companies who by tomorrow will be out of cash and fully invested as they were buying under valued companies with revenues and with the margin calls in the Japan market drop are filling up with companies in sectors that will boom again soon.
    Last edited by Football16; 16-03-2011 at 03:59 PM.

35 years ago, Mark 1 Nuclear Reactor Design used at Fukushima Caused GE Scientist To Quit In Protest

Fukushima: Mark 1 Nuclear Reactor Design Caused GE Scientist To Quit In Protest - ABC News

Now some of those who quit or retired are going back in to risk their lives to save the city, very noble people. Can't say the same thing about those GE and TEPCO executives though.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLowrey:
    35 years ago, Mark 1 Nuclear Reactor Design used at Fukushima Caused GE Scientist To Quit In Protest

Fukushima: Mark 1 Nuclear Reactor Design Caused GE Scientist To Quit In Protest - ABC News

Now some of those who quit or retired are going back in to risk their lives to save the city, very noble people. Can't say the same thing about those GE and TEPCO executives though.
    Did you make it past the first page of your own link? The second page outlines where he says he believes they retrofitted the plants to cope with his concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Did you make it past the first page of your own link? The second page outlines where he says he believes they retrofitted the plants to cope with his concerns.
    Did you read the third paragraph?

When asked if that was sufficient, he paused. "What I would say is, the Mark 1 is still a little more susceptible to an accident that would result in a loss of containment."
    And it doesn't change the fact that the execs went ahead building those plants when they knew the designs were faulty. And it does NOT take anything away from those brave men who have chosen to come out of retirement to risk their lives for their country.
    Last edited by MikeLowrey; 17-03-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Thoughts are with the Fukushima 50, good luck you brave souls.

Radiation Levels 6,600 Times Normal 20km Away from Fukushima N-Plant - JIJI PRESS

Radiation Levels 6,600 Times Normal 20km Away from Fukushima N-Plant

Tokyo, March 16 (Jiji Press)--Radiation levels about 6,600 times normal were detected on Tuesday at a place 20 kilometers away from a nuclear power plant at the center of Japan's nuclear crisis, the science ministry said Wednesday.

Radiation levels reached 195 to 330 microsieverts per hour in the Fukushima Prefecture town of Namie in radiation monitoring activities for about 10 minutes from 8:40 p.m. Tuesday (11:40 a.m. GMT), the ministry said.

The town is about 20 kilometers away from the earthquake-hit Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant of Tokyo Electric Power Co. <9501>, the ministry said.

On Tuesday, the government advised residents within 30 kilometers from the nuclear plant to stay indoors.

The ministry reported the results of its radiation monitoring activities to the government's disaster management task force.

Japan are sure not doing themselves any favours by the way they have handled the communications from the get go. What we are seeing there now from the various embassies making their own pronouncements (and not all say the same thing) and people like energy officials in the EU also making statements - Japan is not controlling the message.

While no one disputes the need for news from one source they are showing it to be amateur hour in crisis communications. They just do not have the right set up. It is not about a central command and control centre - it is who gives the news.

Yesterday I think they held a news conference at 4 am. They use one guy now basically who says it all. While it is great he is a hero there is too much in the way of other sources filling the dead air and the fact others are not confident in the message.

The timed conferences are important as it would give people a common time to listen and watch. Many in affected areas have no tv. They'd be addressing all the steps being taken from the radiation issue to relief, rescue and recovery and coordinating it but experts would be speaking. It 'd have the semblance of a team. While no one in the world is better than the Japanese earthquake response their communications are far from best in class. It might be a cultural trait but you'd think all the key agencies would be used to reassure the people as well as get out the accurate news.

It is clear now they didn't get the right story out early as they let the message come from company officials and not an independent expert or health official that could be trusted.

Just telling your people to remain strong is not good enough. That is why the Lowrey effect is taking over and people are starting to take their own actions based on which news Nelly they just heard rather than real risk.

There is no credible expert leading the expert briefings and therein lies their ongoing problem.

Last edited by Football16; 17-03-2011 at 08:00 AM.

I think the worst is over. As long as they can keep on spraying sea water on the reactors and release the pressure regularly, the cores are only going to get cooler. It could take weeks or months but they'll get the job done.

Again, I think those 50 volunteers are heroes, just yesterday they were exposed to 30 times of the absolute maximum of what workers should be exposed to in an emergency situation, 150 times the maximum of what they should usually be exposed to. I just can't imagine them being able to come out healthy at the end of this.

Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLowrey:
    Again, I think those 50 volunteers are heroes, just yesterday they were exposed to 30 times of the absolute maximum of what workers should be exposed to in an emergency situation, 150 times the maximum of what they should usually be exposed to. I just can't imagine them being able to come out healthy at the end of this.
    Totally agree with this and thinking this today. These 50 engineers are risking their lives and you will find that some will certainly die from exposure to save Japan from a worse fate.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/a-...316-1bxey.html
    Last edited by virago; 17-03-2011 at 08:48 AM.
    Football16 likes this.

And regarding an earlier post, the reason why those scientists resigned 35 years ago was because they believed that these specific kind of reactors should not be built, if there was trouble and there was a loss of power, those reactors won't be able to cool down sufficiently and that is exactly what's happening now. They were so upset about it that they left their job and walked out of the company. It doesn't matter that they retrofitted the reactors to strengthen the containment, the main problem still exists. It's like designing a car and you find out that it has a braking problem and instead of redesigning it, you just put some extra airbags in there.

Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Totally agree with this and thinking this today. These 50 engineers are risking their lives and you will find that some will certainly die from exposure to save Japan from a worse fate.

Nuclear radiation | Japan earthquake
    I think some of them came out of retirement to volunteer for that reason, because they didn't want the younger workers who have their whole life in front of them to die/get sick. Man, I don't know what to say.
    Football16 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast