Like Tree147Likes

Japan Earthquake & Pacific Tsunami

Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 33 ... LastLast

Japan are sure not doing themselves any favours by the way they have handled the communications from the get go. What we are seeing there now from the various embassies making their own pronouncements (and not all say the same thing) and people like energy officials in the EU also making statements - Japan is not controlling the message.

While no one disputes the need for news from one source they are showing it to be amateur hour in crisis communications. They just do not have the right set up. It is not about a central command and control centre - it is who gives the news.

Yesterday I think they held a news conference at 4 am. They use one guy now basically who says it all. While it is great he is a hero there is too much in the way of other sources filling the dead air and the fact others are not confident in the message.

The timed conferences are important as it would give people a common time to listen and watch. Many in affected areas have no tv. They'd be addressing all the steps being taken from the radiation issue to relief, rescue and recovery and coordinating it but experts would be speaking. It 'd have the semblance of a team. While no one in the world is better than the Japanese earthquake response their communications are far from best in class. It might be a cultural trait but you'd think all the key agencies would be used to reassure the people as well as get out the accurate news.

It is clear now they didn't get the right story out early as they let the message come from company officials and not an independent expert or health official that could be trusted.

Just telling your people to remain strong is not good enough. That is why the Lowrey effect is taking over and people are starting to take their own actions based on which news Nelly they just heard rather than real risk.

There is no credible expert leading the expert briefings and therein lies their ongoing problem.

Last edited by Football16; 17-03-2011 at 08:00 AM.

I do agree the communication has been terrible. I think the information should come from one source, but the Government has completely mis-managed both the resolution & communications for this issue. They have been proved incompetent for their position in my view.

I think the worst is over. As long as they can keep on spraying sea water on the reactors and release the pressure regularly, the cores are only going to get cooler. It could take weeks or months but they'll get the job done.

Again, I think those 50 volunteers are heroes, just yesterday they were exposed to 30 times of the absolute maximum of what workers should be exposed to in an emergency situation, 150 times the maximum of what they should usually be exposed to. I just can't imagine them being able to come out healthy at the end of this.

Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLowrey:
    I think the worst is over. As long as they can keep on spraying sea water on the reactors and release the pressure regularly, the cores are only going to get cooler. It could take weeks or months but they'll get the job done.
    Are they actually getting cooling in? Yesterday they were trying to dump water with helicopters but that was aborted.

Again, I think those 50 volunteers are heroes, just yesterday they were exposed to 30 times of the absolute maximum of what workers should be exposed to in an emergency situation, 150 times the maximum of what they should usually be exposed to. I just can't imagine them being able to come out healthy at the end of this.
    Totally agree with this and thinking this today. These 50 engineers are risking their lives and you will find that some will certainly die from exposure to save Japan from a worse fate.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/a-...316-1bxey.html
    Last edited by virago; 17-03-2011 at 08:48 AM.
    Football16 likes this.

And regarding an earlier post, the reason why those scientists resigned 35 years ago was because they believed that these specific kind of reactors should not be built, if there was trouble and there was a loss of power, those reactors won't be able to cool down sufficiently and that is exactly what's happening now. They were so upset about it that they left their job and walked out of the company. It doesn't matter that they retrofitted the reactors to strengthen the containment, the main problem still exists. It's like designing a car and you find out that it has a braking problem and instead of redesigning it, you just put some extra airbags in there.

Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Totally agree with this and thinking this today. These 50 engineers are risking their lives and you will find that some will certainly die from exposure to save Japan from a worse fate.

Nuclear radiation | Japan earthquake
    I think some of them came out of retirement to volunteer for that reason, because they didn't want the younger workers who have their whole life in front of them to die/get sick. Man, I don't know what to say.
    Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    Japan are sure not doing themselves any favours by the way they have handled the communications from the get go. What we are seeing there now from the various embassies making their own pronouncements (and not all say the same thing) and people like energy officials in the EU also making statements - Japan is not controlling the message.

Save maybe for North Korea, NOT one country would have controled the message, unprecedented
    crisis is exactly this, unprecedented.

Power partially restored for the cooling systems at reactors 1 and 2. :bigparty

And regarding an earlier post, the reason why those scientists resigned 35 years ago was because they believed that these specific kind of reactors should not be built, if there was trouble and there was a loss of power, those reactors won't be able to cool down sufficiently and that is exactly what's happening now. They were so upset about it that they left their job and walked out of the company. It doesn't matter that they retrofitted the reactors to strengthen the containment, the main problem still exists. It's like designing a car and you find out that it has a braking problem and instead of redesigning it, you just put some extra airbags in there.
    Your link suggested that the reason why resigned was because they did not think the containment was strong enough - and so retrofitting the containment does exactly address the concern. Your "third paragraph" about it being "a little" worse than others is hardly cause to stir up a hornets nest.

Yes - the guys were great for resigning and isn't it a good thing they did and the containment was retro-actively strengthened? That's the story. So thanks for highlighting it, but I can do without the negative spin. I feel I have to put "positive spin" on my posts (which I don't really like doing either) just to offset the "negativity" that comes out from others. It's just daft. I agree with Football and TheBrit (rarely) - better news management from Japan would have helped enormously. I have friends who are putting up messages of doom and gloom on facebook and saying that the Japanese are "hiding the truth" and quote their own local (from different countries) experts frustrations as "proof" that Japan is hiding facts. I don't think they are "hiding" anything; they are just not good at telling it, which is the difference.

Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 33 ... LastLast