Like Tree147Likes

Japan Earthquake & Pacific Tsunami

Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Virago, I don't mean the risk as it stands now, as per my post I was wondering what the risk area would be in the event of a major problem such as meltdown. I know a meltdown is highly unlikely, but I am still interested in the possible fallout area if such an event were to occur... Thanks.

The only example to look at is the Chernobyl accident. HK is further from Japan than most of Western Europe is from Chernobyl, and there were no substantial impacts from Chernobyl in Western Europe.
    Start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernob..._radioactivity

Last edited by PDLM; 12-03-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks PDLM, this is the answer I was looking for cheers...

What is most amazing is how orderly and organized they are in the face of such events.

They deserve high praise for that.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    I strongly recommend taking preventative measures to offset the remote chance of thryoid cancer. Taking an iodine supplement to prevent your thyroid from absorbing any of the potentional risk of your thyroid either an iodine supplement taking once a day or an iodine tincture applied to the thyroid region will prevent your thryoid from absorbing any of the radioactive iodine from the melt down.
    I assume this is some sort of attempt at a joke if it is aimed at people in Hong Kong.

here's an interesting article from cnn...

Quake moved Japan coast 8 feet; shifted Earth's axis

(CNN) -- The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.

"At this point, we know that one GPS station moved (8 feet), and we have seen a map from GSI (Geospatial Information Authority) in Japan showing the pattern of shift over a large area is consistent with about that much shift of the land mass," said Kenneth Hudnut, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters).

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    What is most amazing is how orderly and organized they are in the face of such events.

They deserve high praise for that.
    It was amazing that everyone was standing in line outside the convenience stores... in other countries it would have just been looted. Says a lot about the Japanese people and culture.
    Kudos and agreed.. they deserve high praise.

On the other hand, I am not too sure if people saw the news where some foreign tourists ( I presume from Northern Europe) started to complain that no stores were opened and how disappointed they were and "they couldn't understand it". The lady said she was disappointed as she couldn't buy anything to take home... I thought WTF! and wished they also gone down with the Tsunami.. what ugly people!!!!

Iodine and Radioactive Poisoning

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    I strongly recommend taking preventative measures to offset the remote chance of thryoid cancer. Taking an iodine supplement to prevent your thyroid from absorbing any of the potentional risk of your thyroid either an iodine supplement taking once a day or an iodine tincture applied to the thyroid region will prevent your thryoid from absorbing any of the radioactive iodine from the melt down.

Radioactive Iodine is the leading cause of thyroid cancer and hyperthyroidism.
    Japan may hand out iodine near nuclear plants—IAEA

Reuters
    Posted at 03/12/2011 9:35 PM

VIENNA - Japanese authorities have told the U.N. atomic watchdog they are making preparations to distribute iodine to people living near nuclear power plants affected by Friday's earthquake, the Vienna-based agency said.

Iodine can be used to help protect the body from radioactive exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I assume this is some sort of attempt at a joke if it is aimed at people in Hong Kong.
    If so, it would either be a very stupid joke or incredibly uninformed advice.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast