Like Tree16Likes

Japan Earthquake - Donations & Goodwill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Silly me for overlooking this the whole time. My heart just broke looking at this picture.
    Name:  tumblr_li25endcE21qzp909o1_500.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  52.8 KB
    Calling out to animal lovers - if anyone are actually paying attention to these links I've provided..... please help?

Japan Earthquake Animal Rescue and Support Facebook Page

Japan Cat Network -We are all greatly saddened and have been continually horrified by news of the devastation, following the recent earthquake here in Japan. We, the kitties at the JCN Kansai shelter, and the shelter itself, are all fine...However, we remain very concerned about the animals in the severely effected areas, who may be overlooked in the midst of so much immediate need to address human concerns. We are currently working with two other no-kill organizations to coordinate plans for getting animals from these areas out to safety, and have already begun helping people with pets in crisis. (Read more @ site)

and donations are accepted @ this website

And if my proposal wasn't strong enough YouTube - 東北地方太平洋沖地震 被災した犬 ち help for dogs

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Starbucks is donating all proceeds from sales (no costs deducted) TODAY BETWEEN 3 AND 5PM to the Japanese Earthquake Relief fund run by World Vision (yeah, I know it's a religious organisation but some people might be interested in donating the cost of a mocha latte...).

Starbucks Hong Kong supports Japan Earthquake Relief

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 18-03-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Very good article about how Shelterbox got to Japan and delivered.

ShelterBox mobilizes quickly for Japanese in need - CNN.com

wtbhotia likes this.

Some of my Japanese friends were driving around to nearby shelters today which are easily accessible by road and mostly in Ibaraki Pref. They say that there is NO aid from any groups. People are short of medicine, food, diapers and basic stuff. They are trying to collect anything they can from the public and distribute.

Here are some messages I got from friends

【物資】霞ヶ浦総合体育館では一般 ら支援物資を募集しています。赤ち んからお年寄りまでいらっしゃいま す。特に紙おむつ、下着類は足りま ん。また、長い避難生活になる可能 もありますので、おもちゃや本など もいいかも!体育館窓口まで!

---

【ボランティアしてみて1】私が接し のが、いわきの方が多かったから、 原発の影響で避難が主な理由。もう こで家を探そうかと思っているって もいた。昨日今日来たばかりの人達 だったのに、結構落ち着いていたの 驚いた。印象としてはガソリンがも まで、出来るだけ原発から遠くへ来 たのかなと。

Supposedly the government is asking people not to help as everything is under control which is not totally true. The locals are welcoming any help at the moment from anyone willing to volunteer his/her time.

Following tweets again....

Apparently:
    "....If you want to help out in Sendai, Shiogama is the right place to start, they are in desperate need of volunteers."
    "....Sendai is overflowing with volunteers, we need to spread out. Call the number......and get all the details.Shiogama 080-1679-8989"

If anyone's set on going... maybe this info would help?

JaredHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lilone:
    Silly me for overlooking this the whole time. My heart just broke looking at this picture.
    Name:  tumblr_li25endcE21qzp909o1_500.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  52.8 KB
    Calling out to animal lovers - if anyone are actually paying attention to these links I've provided..... please help?

Japan Earthquake Animal Rescue and Support Facebook Page

Japan Cat Network -We are all greatly saddened and have been continually horrified by news of the devastation, following the recent earthquake here in Japan. We, the kitties at the JCN Kansai shelter, and the shelter itself, are all fine...However, we remain very concerned about the animals in the severely effected areas, who may be overlooked in the midst of so much immediate need to address human concerns. We are currently working with two other no-kill organizations to coordinate plans for getting animals from these areas out to safety, and have already begun helping people with pets in crisis. (Read more @ site)

and donations are accepted @ this website

And if my proposal wasn't strong enough YouTube - 東北地方太平洋沖地震 被災した犬 ち help for dogs
    Sorry, I love animals also but I can't see supporting an animal rescue fund when humans are desperately in need.
    JaredHK likes this.

Following tweets again....

Apparently:
    "....If you want to help out in Sendai, Shiogama is the right place to start, they are in desperate need of volunteers."
    "....Sendai is overflowing with volunteers, we need to spread out. Call the number......and get all the details.Shiogama 080-1679-8989"

If anyone's set on going... maybe this info would help?
    Thanks for that. I posted the message on my mobile device. Many of my friends drove up North on Saturday to help with supplies etc and sent me a bunch of pictures. The Red Cross and other NGO's are not much help as they are concentrating on one prefecture while people are moving out and down South.

They are desperately in need of any volunteers local or Western and I am told many of the resident Gaijins have fked off or are staying holed up indoors instead of helping.
    lilone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    Sorry, I love animals also but I can't see supporting an animal rescue fund when humans are desperately in need.
    I know... I couldn't convince my family to do so either. I guess it was in the heat of the moment when I saw all the pictures, etc. It's just really sad to know that they're being ignored/abandoned. As a scientist I kinda see all of us as organisms who all have a right to live. Though if I thought further down that path it would eventually lead to something like survival of the fittest. Well either way I'll be putting 1/5 of my donations towards the animal funds. I do still believe the emphasis should be on the humans too.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    : The Red Cross and other NGO's are not much help as they are concentrating on one prefecture while people are moving out and down South.
    That's why I'm hesitant as to deciding where to donate my money. It seems like so much research has to be involved. I heard so many "horror" stories on the money not going where it was meant to go, etc. I know logistics isn't an easy topic but.... I don't know. I don't really trust the Red Cross.
    Last edited by lilone; 22-03-2011 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rasbro:

japan also is quite slow to accept foreigners aid, always citing a variety of reasons why foreginers can't really help. just culture.
    Intelligently not blindly reiterating what the Japanese there say. I remember they were quick to claim foreigner immigrants (of a specific ethnicity) to be involved with house break-in even when they got no evidence.

also, due to the touchy situation with the nuclear reactors they are asking that no one put themselves in harm's way for the time being.
    yes!

I know... I couldn't convince my family to do so either. I guess it was in the heat of the moment when I saw all the pictures, etc. It's just really sad to know that they're being ignored/abandoned. As a scientist I kinda see all of us as organisms who all have a right to live. Though if I thought further down that path it would eventually lead to something like survival of the fittest. Well either way I'll be putting 1/5 of my donations towards the animal funds. I do still believe the emphasis should be on the humans too.

That's why I'm hesitant as to deciding where to donate my money. It seems like so much research has to be involved. I heard so many "horror" stories on the money not going where it was meant to go, etc. I know logistics isn't an easy topic but.... I don't know. I don't really trust the Red Cross.
    Just managed to make contact with my buddy who headed over last week (American). He confirmed that local Japanese youngsters were trying to help but seemed clueless on where to start and how to allocate the work. He is in Ibaraki now and they are collecting toys, clothing and whatever else they can from people and taking them to the shelters. I have to head back to Dallas in a few weeks and am considering a stopover in Japan and might spend a week or two helping out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3