Like Tree62Likes

rape, assault and murder

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Lots of bad things are statistically unlikely to happen to you. Throughout your life, though, one or two of these *unlikely* events will happen. You can't just dismiss things because they're unlikely.

In the case where an offender is a stranger attacking a stranger in a public place, and it seems possible for him to repeat his offence, of course it makes sense to publicise some details. Of course if he repeats, there's a very low chance it will happen to YOU, but someone will become that unlucky 'statistic'.

By making it public, if anything, the offender may be deterred from doing it again. For the police, perhaps, they'd prefer he does it one more time so they have more chance of catching him. Is this the decision they're balancing? I hope not.

luckycat and dear giant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I understand you are looking to go back to UK in the near future. You'll be happy to know that the newspapers there are very big on forewarning. They will be happily forewarning every single day about every crime near and far.

Even if you happen to live in a very nice part of UK with very low crime rates, with all the forewarning you will feel like the order around you is collapsing and everything is going to hell in a handbasket. Your neighbors wont let their kids out of the house and fewer and fewer people will be out on the deserted streets fearing the forthcoming predictions that came about from the forewarning...

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one - I think what the police did (and didnt do) was very appropriate and they got the guy.
    Ha ha, I'm moving to Hull which I don't think classifies as a nice part of the UK

Hull has had high crime rates for many many years with constant reports and warnings. Kids still play in the street, people still go out at night. I am sure there are some who hide in fear but they are a minute minority, everyone else just gets on with their life.
    luckycat likes this.

Cool, I think I'm going to move to hull and become a criminal sounds very accommodating!

But anyway, hull, we know you laugh in the face of danger. You now live in the philipines... didn't you know there's a dead psycho on the loose? :P

hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    You may be so weak-minded as to abandon rational thought
    Ah out pops the standard PDLM insult when someone has views other than his own. From the man who gave us the solidly rational, logical and correct statements of:

- baby milk is child abuse
    - only those who were on the way out anyway died from swine flu
    - why does a child who can walk need to be carried?

etc, etc, could fill a book on them I am sure.
    luckycat and elle like this.

I'm pretty sure it's against the rules of a tourist visa to abandon rational thought, too.

Hull! You're really moving back to Hull? I love that place so much. The friendliest people I ever met were from Hull.

Back on topic, I agree with Hull.

HC, I can see what you're saying about the enthusiasm for the UK press to sensationalise every crime.

However, to preach the opposite (i.e. any form of warning or publicity is simple to incite fearmongering) is to preach ignorance is bliss. Of course it is better to know and apply rational thought and logic to it. If there is a high propensity for muggings at gunpoint at night in somewhere specific, I would like to know about the location and would modify my travels accordingly.

justjoe86 likes this.

He'll have to change his username though.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Hull! You're really moving back to Hull? I love that place so much. The friendliest people I ever met were from Hull.
    Most likely, still discussing it with work. If it goes ahead as I have planned then move in May. Having lived in the Phils and Hull I am coming to the conclusion that there is an inverse correlation between wealth and friendly people.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    - only those who were on the way out anyway died from swine flu
    No - it was SARS - pretty much all of the otherwise healthy people who died were killed by the treatment, not by the disease. That's not my opinion, it is the opinion of the head of microbiology at HKU.