Like Tree260Likes

detention of artist Ai Weiwei

Reply
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast
  1. #71

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,970

    So what should China do then?

    Rather than derail this thread even further, I've started a new one which asks what you would do if you were in charge of China: http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/8...ml#post1455157

    Football16 likes this.

  2. #72

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    4,146
    Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english
    Of course Ai Weiwei might actually be a criminal.....but that would not suit the line taken by Western media now would it?
    Sounds harder to buy when he's described as the 'pro-democracy artist Ai Weiwei' as opposed to 'white collar criminal, Ai Weiwei'
    BBC showing live footage of the smog in Beijing while we were looking at blue skies!
    I would take it all with a pinch of salt personally.
    Yes, he bullshitted about having a legal license to transport people too. Good job it'll be the death penalty.

    Er, seems you were in Beijing at the time you may have failed to actually take stock of the reporting on the weather and pollution in Beijing. I think you'd be better checking on what was reported rather than try and transcribe your fantasies here.

    Pinch of salt? If you take it as a pinch of salt it must all be 100% true.
    Freetrader likes this.

  3. #73

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,602
    Quote Originally Posted by virago
    The PRC have now confirmed he is held for 'economic crimes'.

    I very much doubt he has done some type of fraud.
    "Economic crimes" is one of the most used allegations against Human Right activists in China, there is a long line of activists with these kind of accusations. Hell even the SCMP even stated this outright in yesterday's edition. This tactic helps the Chinese government in deflecting some of the human rights claims, apparently they already fooled Bryant.English with it on this forum!

  4. #74

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tuen Mun
    Posts
    6,196
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykay
    Er, seems you were in Beijing at the time you may have failed to actually take stock of the reporting on the weather and pollution in Beijing.
    Try again in English.

  5. #75

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Back in California (finally!).
    Posts
    2,079
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    So what should China do then?

    Rather than derail this thread even further, I've started a new one which asks what you would do if you were in charge of China: http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/8...ml#post1455157
    Why do that? This thread is about Ai Weiwei and China. You and Football have turned it into a debate on the moral equivalence of the US and the PRC justice systems. If you want to stick to the point, we can have China discussion right here.
    squid likes this.

  6. #76

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatts
    "Economic crimes" is one of the most used allegations against Human Right activists in China, there is a long line of activists with these kind of accusations. Hell even the SCMP even stated this outright in yesterday's edition. This tactic helps the Chinese government in deflecting some of the human rights claims, apparently they already fooled Bryant.English with it on this forum!
    too true. Ai Weiwei hasn't called for revolution, isn't being held for sedition, doesn't advocate violence, etc. He speaks out against injustice and stupidity and corruption. Social criticism is not a crime.


    He has been watched closely for a long long time and all that they can come up with is a charge of "Economic Crimes".
    Freetrader likes this.

  7. #77

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,333

    If anyone is interested in a w?mo d?ng (50 Cent Party) post on this issue, there is a long one on The Peking Duck.

    I Believe The Arrest of Ai Wei Wei Indicates that China Has Made a Large Step Towards Rule of Law

    The arrest of Ai Wei Wei was everywhere on the internet. Some support him, but many more support his arrest. From an engineering mindset, I will analyse the life trajectory of this democracy activist.....
    The Peking Duck

  8. #78

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Back in California (finally!).
    Posts
    2,079
    Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake
    If anyone is interested in a w?mo d?ng (50 Cent Party) post on this issue, there is a long one on The Peking Duck.

    The Peking Duck
    Ah yes, another one of the CCP's army of paid bloggers makes his point - if you have sex outside of marriage, you should be arrested. Or, maybe it's, well, they arrested him didn't they? He must be guilty of something. I like the 'most people support his arrest' comment based on no evidence of any kind. Some people have no shame at all...

  9. #79

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tuen Mun
    Posts
    6,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader
    if you have sex outside of marriage, you should be arrested.
    Now you are twisting the words! Have you no shame? What it says is that it is illegal in China to impregnate a woman outside of marriage.

    If laws are broken in China, and people are arrested in accordance with Chinese law for breaking them, then China is following the rule of law. If you don't like the laws, well, that's a different question entirely.

    Artist or not, like the laws or not, the guy is a criminal by Chinese law, he is Chinese and this is China!!
    CHINA = Ai WeiWei =
    Last edited by bryant.english; 10-04-2011 at 09:29 AM.

  10. #80

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    4,146

    Actually, and not withstanding that that piece is a load of bollocks, it's not illegal to impregnate a woman outside of marriage. In fact China law as dictated by Beijing states that children born outside of wedlock will be treated as any other BUT in many provinces it is illegal for an unwed woman to give birth. So please get it right.

    If this was a real and actual rule then most of the CCP would be locked up, not forgetting the long dead "great helmsman" himself who just flicked from one wife to another and having children outside of real marriage.


Reply
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast