Like Tree139Likes

Bin Laden Found Dead?

Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    GillesHK: "It is interesting to see aggressive actions being taken once again in an oil rich country under the pretense of protecting the population...Funny that in less prominent african nations, they don't want to interfere with local politics."

It is always ironic as off shore on shore Libya are oil rich and not fully developed. Not sure the bombers (Italy via ENI is a producer/explorer there) will benefit. The country who got the Iraq oil deals was China and news says that in Libya the Chinese were negotiating deals with the rebels as the bombs were falling.

There is no correlation between who fights and bombs and who gets the oil as the PRC keeps proving.

My sense is that Obama alive would be worse than Obama on the loose - they had to kill him or leave him in his cave house.
    That would be Osama by the way and it has nothing to do with what I said above. I made several points about the fact that the operation probably went as well as could be expected...

There are inaccuracies in your statement, the Iraqi oil didn't strictly go to China but to several bidder including one of the wells to Exxon. While it's correct to argue that the americans may not have benefited directly from the deal, the reality is that they had the opportunity to get at that oil which they would never have if Hussein was in power. It is a very positive and remarkable point that the Iraqis spread the contracts amidst many different countries without any apparent favoritism.

The fact remains that interventions are often chosen because of strategic concerns including oil as opposed to humanitarian reasons as they often try to make people swallow. If it was truly the case, you have to ask yourself why no one hardly lifted a finger in Sudan, Rwanda, Burundi etc...

It would also be a risky political move for the US to try to appropriate themselves large chunks of oil with China and Russia looking on particularly at a time when the US is not looking as strong as before and China rising... It's better to open up these oil reserves and share the spoils of war with others. They still stand to get more than would have before while removing a thorn in their side...

As to innocent getting hurt in bombings, we don't know all the facts... Dictators and terrorists are not above using civilians as human shields and bombers sometimes accept there will be collateral damage. Very few people really know what actually happened in many of those cases...

Anyone else think Osama was kind of good looking for a rebel terrorist rogue? I mean, if he shaved his beard and washed?

It isn't a man crush or anything. I'm just throwing it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Anyone else think Osama was kind of good looking for a rebel terrorist rogue? I mean, if he shaved his beard and washed?

It isn't a man crush or anything. I'm just throwing it out there.
    Hey, I'm game. The man was a rock star. An evil rock star. You don't convince people to blow themselves up and kill thousands of innocents without possessing some powers of pursuasion, charm, and/or charisma. Of course, none of that would have mattered without daddy's money...

Give the Devil his due. It's said that Hitler was probably the greatest orator of the 20th Century...

What say you of Col Gaddaffi?

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    What say you of Col Gaddaffi?
    I think that some people, like Jim Morrison, Curt Cobain, Marilyn Monroe, and JFK, are somewhat lucky to have died while still young and glamorous. Mr. Quadaffi is a bit long in the tooth, I'm afraid. He has been a Colonel for far too long and will hopefully be promoted to "martyr" soon.

But since we are on this slightly strange topic, Saddam Hussein also did quite well. There is no doubt that he had oodles of charisma and charm. I think the South Park boys had him spot on:

YouTube - South Park: I Can Change Song & Video HD

Original Post Deleted
    Yes, I got my Osama mixed with my Obama.

You'd think I was a Republican...lol.

Safer just to say Bin Laden ....

Can you imagine the circus if they had got him alive?

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    I think that some people, like Jim Morrison, Curt Cobain, Marilyn Monroe, and JFK, are somewhat lucky to have died while still young and glamorous. Mr. Quadaffi is a bit long in the tooth, I'm afraid. He has been a Colonel for far too long and will hopefully be promoted to "martyr" soon.
    heh. Sicko!

[QUOTE=Football16;1485257][QUOTE=HKITperson;1485209]

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:

Not sure you realize just how police work goes in North America for example. There is no way they 'd go in and risk shooting teachers. In some cases not taking risks has led to some deaths in some hostage/barricaded felon situations as police have waited too long.

The US operation is not anything most folks will condemn. In this situation dead or alive meant just that. It was a military operation and not a police operation and the rules just simply apply here like they would if say in a North American city.
    Why? becuase it is a Pakistan City and because they are brown and not christian so rules and the law doesn't apply?. So what about Nato dropping bombs on innocent Children in Libya... becuase they are the children of a dictator, we can just go in and kill them?

What bothers me and most sensible people is that democratic states can willingly commit murder and revert to the law of the jungle when it suits them. By doing this don't they realize they are also eroding the democratic institutions that they are there to protect?

With any high profile deaths such as this, a full inquiry should be set up to determine whether those killed were lawful. If a court of law presumed it so that so be it.
    We can't have democratic governments going around the world murdering people they don't like... no matter how popular it is. That is the whole basis of the constitutions and democratic laws. Where are the checks and balances now?

Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast