Like Tree139Likes

Bin Laden Found Dead?

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Thanks for adding to the misinformation, TigerSun. The answer is pretty obvious - Osama was in Pakistan the whole time, protected by the ISI. That, if you read my post, was my point.

Original Post Deleted
    Yes, far less likely than Football's implied assertion that the US knew where he was all the time, and just didn't go after him for some reason (if that wasn't his implication, then I don't know what point he was trying to make - although it is frequently difficult to determine that these days with Football). In any case, most intelligence analysts have been stating for several years now that they believed Bin Laden was in Pakistan. He couldn't effectively hide in Afghanistan, while in the tribal areas of Pakistan he would be protected by Pakistan's "soveriegnty." The only surprise is that he was basically living in the open in the city, rather than in a tribal area.

One of his wives is from the Philippines, I believe (local angle here)...

Obama makes the announcement.

>> he was basically living in the open in the city, rather than in a tribal area.

Apparently in a million dollar mansion built specifically for him 5 years ago. Clancy now has a new plot ...

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    Unfortunately for Al-Qaeda, they've been trying for the past 10 years and have accomplished nothing (except for murdering a lot of innocent Muslims in Iraq and inspiring a couple of train bombings). 9/11 was a one-off - brilliantly conceived and executed; an idea so awful that most people couldn't conveive of it. But they've had nothing since. Unless they get a nuclear bomb from Football's friends, they are going to have to stick to killing Muslims in the future - which will make them even more unpopular in the Islamic world than they are already.
    Al Qaeda has carried out several attacks after 911, albeit nothing on that scale. And they have shown that they can be very patient, so I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of another attack, including on US soil.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    Al Qaeda has carried out several attacks after 911, albeit nothing on that scale. And they have shown that they can be very patient, so I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of another attack, including on US soil.
    I am aware of those attacks; my point was that for 10 years they have not been able to come up with anything nearly of the scale of 9/11. As time passes, the feeling grows that they just got lucky.

OSAMA buried at sea? Why?

Considering the fact that 9/11 was possibly the most shocking event most of us have witnessed, it's not really a surprise that it wasn't duplicated. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me...

You can dance over Bin Laden's grave all you want, the fact remains that Al Qaeda is still very much alive despite a campaign from the richest and most powerful country on earth after having spent trillions of dollars. That in itself is quite an accomplishment if one looks at it coldly...

There has been plenty of terrorist attacks since and a recent one in Morocco killed several foreigners. The fact is that they haven't been really able to hit the US on its soil but the price to pay for americans has been high both in personal freedom, convenience and money.

The death of Bin Laden is a great victory for the US and an outstanding PR opportunity for the current president however I'm not convinced it's a huge strategic blow to Al Qaeda. I guess time will tell... Anyway, he won't be missed by too many of us...

HongKongFoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    OSAMA buried at sea? Why?
    They probably don't want anyone building a shrine around his bones. According to the US Government, he was buried with all the proper Islamic ritual.

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast