Like Tree139Likes

Bin Laden Found Dead?

Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 ... LastLast

I love HKIT's introductions to each of his posts.

Invariably an insult hurled at FT - my personal favourite so far: "you must be cloth-eared!".

Poor FT!

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    I would have arrested him and put him on trial.
    A trial for the US is a huge problem. Here is a country that does not subscribe to the International Criminal Court and they have agreements with over 100 nations that they will not turn an American over to them for trial so how can they capture Bin Laden and turn him over to the ICC? That defies all logic and common sense.

They will not conduct trials on their soil now for those they captured and have held without charge and without the basic rights they'd give a common bank robber so they will proceed by military tribunal alone. That is much like the police capturing the crooks and being judge and jury of the accused. Hardly the ear marks of justice and fair trials.

The charges against Bin Laden would have to be conspiracy charges - very, very hard to prove without corroboration and evidence of him directing 911 etc to happen, etc and not just the the damning video tapes alleged to have been Bin Laden. This evidence would meet the tests of a US military tribunal but might not make if it went through a US criminal trial and all the way to their Supreme Court where there are lots of loop holes. Why the US would not agree to the ICC is incomprehensible and for Bin Laden that would have been the place to go.

Summation: If you want him, shoot him and get it over. Lots of things in international relations are not legal but are done and eventually the folks get over it. This too shall pass.
    Last edited by Football16; 06-05-2011 at 01:55 PM.
    luckycat likes this.

One thing that many miss with the revisions of the story is what happens and who can remember what when it comes to incidents where shots are fired and this must have been one horrific event both as the US troops might not know what to expect in the compound to knowing the clock to get out of there very fast was ticking quickly.

When shots are being fired it is not easy to have precise details from the participants.

An example: They do this trick in all police recruit classes with the students all sitting and facing the instructor ready for the lesson on interviewing crime scene witnesses. This is typically just as the class is underway. A gun man rushes into the classroom and yells somethings at the instructor and then opens fire yelling something and retreats out the door. It is blanks and fake and students (unarmed..lol) are typically knowing that someday this will happen (as they heard it from other friends who were there before them).

They are now instructed to write down exactly what transpired and who did what and said what to whom. The results from the description of the shooter to how many shots and what happened and in what order are all over the place.

I am not surprised by differing accounts coming in. The observers at the White House might have thought one thing on the feed they were seeing only to be corrected after the de-briefing when the troops were back at their base. The commanders back at the base might have got details confused too and only much later when all are debriefed is the best account available and even that is likely just a close approximation.

Last edited by Football16; 06-05-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:

eventually the folks get over it. This too shall pass.
    I hope not. I hope that the damage this one has done sticks and that people do remember it.

What a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Aww you big softie. You'd also give him a cuddle, stoke his beard and look longingly into his gentle eyes, whispering "Here, here, Osama, it's ok..."
    Well, I wouldn't murder him, no.

Urgent hiring, CEO POST VACANT at large MNC, with attractive salary and benefits including 24-hr fool-proof security, home, vehicle offered in package.

Interested candidates please submit your CV to [email protected], immediately available preferred.

Last edited by Dreadnought; 06-05-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    I am not surprised by differing accounts coming in. The observers at the White House might have thought one thing on the feed they were seeing only to be corrected after the de-briefing when the troops were back at their base. The commanders back at the base might have got details confused too and only much later when all are debriefed is the best account available and even that is likely just a close approximation.
    Agree. I too am not surprised about the evolving story. In fact, I remember on Monday when the news was breaking thinking that if I were POTUS, I would reveal as little as possible, but "the fog of war" takes some time to dissipate. All that said, this was so high profile and so many were involved that there will eventually be plenty of information in the public domain to haggle over.

Original Post Deleted
    Nope, not a banker. All societies produce huge amounts of waste, but generally energy consumption is in line with GDP. I'm sure you don't do any consuming, TS, so that must give you the right to throw stones at 'overconsumers'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    Urgent hiring, CEO POST VACANT at large MNC, with attractive salary and benefits including 24-hr fool-proof security, home, vehicle offered in package.

Interested candidates please submit your CV to [email protected]a.com, immediately available preferred.
    Yeah I've heard it's a blast!
    luckycat likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Sounds like the same excuse China provided for allocation of permitted pollution - it is low per capita!

Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 ... LastLast