Like Tree139Likes

Bin Laden Found Dead?

Closed Thread
Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 31 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Brit, I am going out of my way to work with you here, my friend. You also misunderstand the nature of this conversation. YOU are the one who made a strong assertion of Hirohito's criminality and are trying to prove something; not me. I am the one who doesn't think there is a simple or easy answer to the question. But I have also admitted that I have an open mind on this topic. I have invited you to provide the information you state is available to you prove your point. Please do so.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Going back to an earlier point, would the world be a better or worse place without the US?
    That's an impossible question to answer - it's like asking what would the world be like if there were no Pacific Ocean. The hsitory of the world would be so different that the discussion would be meaningless. Probably all you can do is a thought exercise such as: What if the US had done A instead of B? It is pretty impossible to take the US out of the picture completely. What would the world be like without China? Similar question.

Original Post Deleted
    Keep in mind that you are the one trying to prove something here. You provided a couple of short opinions from many of the thousands of people involved in the process. You could also have included William Webb (a Brit) who dissented because he also felt felt that Hirohito should have been indicted. However, two dissenting judges, the Dutch and Indian judges, both felt that most or all of the accused should have been freed. In short, your anecdotes prove nothing.

I have asked you to provide any information you may have to support the assertion you made that Hirohito had approved of the two specific atrocities commited in his name. Unlike you, I am not committed to a position - I have happy to change my view if you can provide some information to support yours.
    Last edited by Freetrader; 08-05-2011 at 08:10 PM.

This conversation is ridiculous. In my first post I stated that it was a difficult decision, but that I wasn't convinced that removing him was the right call. You have countered with a couple of opinions and an assertion that I have asked you to support. I don't care whether you do or not; but you are the one trying to prove something here (and name calling as well), so it's up to you.

Who will be the new common 'enemy' for the US president to use as a catalyst to bang the nationalistic drum and avoid tackling the domestic policies that need addressing?

There will always be another Bin Ladan because the US needs one, much in the same way the Politburo in Beijing just open the anti-Japan valve when needed.

Last edited by East_coast; 08-05-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    I have asked you to provide any information you may have to support the assertion you made that Hirohito had approved of the two specific atrocities commited in his name. Unlike you, I am not committed to a position - I have happy to change my view if you can provide some information to support yours.
    Bollocks...!

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Who will be the new common 'enemy' for the US president to use as a catalyst to bang the nationalistic drum and avoid tackling the domestic policies that need addressing?

There will always be another Bin Ladan because the US needs one, much in the same way the Politburo in Beijing just open the anti-Japan valve when needed.
    Well, whatever the motivation is, every twenty years or a so a 'rival' comes along that obsesses the US, who are afraid of being overtaken, as well as the rival, who, temporarily at least, assume they will displace the US. Of course, right now the US and China are obssessed with each other. This process was underway when 9/11 happened. China at least, is a little worried about the US focus turning back on them:

Good article here:

China’s America Obsession - By John Lee | Foreign Policy

Noam weighs in on this issue in his usual/typical way :
    Guernica / Noam Chomsky: My Reaction to Osama bin Laden’s Death

HC

Have I got news for you take on Bin Laden and other stories from last week.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Noam weighs in on this issue in his usual/typical way :
    Guernica / Noam Chomsky: My Reaction to Osama bin Laden’s Death

HC
    Yup. His theories of language have also lately come under scrutiny, I'm afraid. Hitchens responds...

Noam Chomsky on Osama Bin Laden: stupid, inconsistent, and ignorant. - By Christopher Hitchens - Slate Magazine

Closed Thread
Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 31 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast