Like Tree139Likes

Bin Laden Found Dead?

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    OSAMA buried at sea? Why?
    Because most countries would be reluctant to have him buried on their soil and they don't want to turn the grave into a shrine.

Osama bin Laden killed in Pakistan: US braces for fury of Arab world | Mail Online
    (don't normally read DM, honest!, but this was the first story on Google news)

who knows who they dumped in the sea? No identification, no witness?

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Osama bin Laden killed in Pakistan: US braces for fury of Arab world | Mail Online
    (don't normally read DM, honest!, but this was the first story on Google news)
    Hardly. More like a lot of effusive "thank you's" from the Arabs. Osama was kicked out of every Arab country.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    >> Al-Qaeda, they've been trying for the past 10 years and have accomplished nothing

How do you know? They might just have taken power in Tunsia and Egypt, with Yemen, Syria and Libya to follow soon.
    Which is what the article I posted suggested was their strategy once the command shifted from Bin Laden to those who did not like the random acts of terrorism that Bin Laden's guys were doing.

--------------------------------------------------------

Not sure where FreeTrader jumps to the zany conclusion he did about my post. I deliberately stated I don't believe in conspiracy theories only to read FT as he does so often does attempting to totally mis-characertize posts that he thinks are anti-American. Only problem with this is his reading problem. T.

I was more fingering the Pakistanis in the hiding of Bin Laden but now that Freetrader believes I support this terrorist let us remind of him what his fellow Americans have said about this issue! Many, many have questioned how screwed up Rumsfeld was to not let his own troops go in and capture him when they had him cornered.

Posted: September 14, 2005 02:25 AM

It seems the Huffington Post had tougher questions than I did FT"

Did We Let Osama Get Away on Purpose?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cenk-u...ay_b_7311.html

The New York Times reported this weekend that we sent in 36 U.S. Special Forces troops to get Osama bin Laden when we knew he was in Tora Bora. By contrast, we sent nearly 150,000 soldiers to get Saddam Hussein. In case you're keeping count at home, we got Saddam and we didn't get Osama. What does that tell you about this administration’s priorities? This goes beyond incompetence. If you send only 36 soldiers to get somebody in the middle of Afghanistan, it means you don’t want to get him....

If people inside the administration actually held back from capturing Osama bin Laden when we had him cornered, it borders on treason. This leads to the next set of questions. Who ordered Brigadier General Mattis to stand down and not send his 4,000 troops in? Who made the decision at the Pentagon that the entire United States military should only use 36 soldiers to try to capture the world's biggest terrorist?

----------------------

How Donald Rumsfeld let bin Laden get away
    Posted: December 01, 2009,

Read more: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...#ixzz1LBfF7gE9

Home | Financial Post | News | Opinion | Arts | Life | Sports | Homes | Cars | Blogs | Multimedia | Classifieds

Main | About | Contact Editor | Subscribe RSS

How Donald Rumsfeld let bin Laden get away
    Posted: December 01, 2009, 2:00 PM by Araminta Wordsworth
    Araminta Wordsworth, FC Abroad, Barack Obama, George W. Bush, U.S. relations, afghanistan

Full Comment’s Araminta Wordsworth brings you a regular dose of international punditry at its finest. The Senate committee report got relatively little attention when it was leaked on the weekend — most Americans were recovering from the turkey and all the trimmings blowout of Thanksgiving.

But it contained an explosive revelation: less than four months after the 9/11 attacks devastated the U.S., the military experts in the Bush cabinet, Donald Rumsfeld, then defense secretary — and by implication, his main supporter vice-president Dick Cheney — let the man responsible walk away from the mountains of Tora Bora by refusing to send in enough troops to finish him off. The ostensible reason: they were afraid of angering U.S. allies in Afghanistan.

“On or around Dec. 16, two days after writing his will, [Osama] bin Laden and an entourage of bodyguards walked unmolested out of Tora Bora and disappeared into Pakistan’s unregulated tribal area. Most analysts say he is still there today,” the report says.

“Fewer than 100 American commandos were on the scene with their Afghan allies and calls for reinforcements to launch an assault were rejected. Requests were also turned down for U.S. troops to block the mountain paths leading to sanctuary a few miles away in Pakistan.”

Republicans will claim the report, issued under the chairmanship of John Kerry, the former Democratic presidential candidate, is partisan — like the editorial writers at the Wall Street Journal.
    “President Obama unveils his new Afghanistan strategy today, and in the nick of time Senator John Kerry has arrived with a report claiming that none of this would be necessary if former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld had only deployed more troops eight years ago. Yes, he really said more troops.”

Others will note, like Michael McAuliff of the New York Daily News,
    “The war in Afghanistan may be fast becoming President Obama’s war, but Sen. John Kerry has a report out reminding folks why it is that Obama is faced with escalating the eight-year-long conflict …
    Besides nailing down a few details of history, the effort looks to us like a pointed reminder that Obama does not want this war, and that he’s only gearing up for an escalation because the job didn’t get done on the last watch.
    And that is cover that Obama sure can use to help cool down the left, which is not at all happy. And it helps that it comes from Kerry, who voted for the Iraq war, but was among the first to renounce it.”

Joe Wolverton, a contributor to the New American, explains the Senate committee drew on official and not-so-official sources.
    “Apart from the Special Operations Command’s official version of events in December 2001, in preparing its report the committee gleaned insight from several previously published accounts of the events in the region, two books published by former CIA agents operating in the theatre, and one account penned by a commander in the super-secret Delta Force under the pseudonym ‘Dalton Fury.’ All of these sources cite the same primary reason for the successful escape of bin Laden — inexplicable tactical errors on the part of then Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld, and the former commander of the United States Central Command, the American military leader in the Middle East …

Read more: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...#ixzz1LBfZ1Tzh
    Last edited by Football16; 02-05-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    who knows who they dumped in the sea? No identification, no witness?
    I'm sure they have pictures and plenty of witnesses. Not to mention that his entire family was captured as well. Not that I expect you to be convinced - look, over there - it's Elvis!
    Satay Sue and paenme like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    Which is what the article I posted suggested was there strategy once the command shifted from Bin Laden to those who did not like the random acts of terrorism that Bin Laden's guys were doing.

I was not suggesting that the US didn't want to capture Bin Laden but suggesting that it looks like Pakistan didn't want that as this was not an easy guy to hide. Funny the US took not long to find Saddam down a hole but there has to be more to how Bin Laden was able to hide for so long in suburb of a city of 1 million people with the so called crack Pakistani intelligence not knowing - it is strange.
    If that's what you were suggesting, Football, then I apologize - I agree. I think the government of Pakistan was always in a bad situation and was probably sincere in its attempts to assist the US in getting OBL. However, there has always been a powerful element in the intelligence services that finds the Taliban and even Al-Qaeda "useful" and, presumably, actively or passively allowed OBL to hide in plain site. That is the reason that it was stated US policy that if the US found Osama, they would not inform the Pakistanis, but simply go get him, which seems to be what happened.

Now this is really WTF, the news reporter says President Obama is dead and then has to correct himself and say Osama Bin Laded is dead. I reckon hes not going to last that long in the news industry. Dumb Dumb. Haahaaa

LiveLeak.com - President Obama is DEAD!!??

Last edited by wtbhotia; 02-05-2011 at 06:01 PM.

I think I know why Freetrader got his panties in a twist. He saw where this might be heading and wanted to discredit anyone who might have the audacity to remind folks that not capturing Bin Laden was later replaced with Bushography when he attacked Iraq as this writer notes. Freetrader like Rumsfeld is not one to let facts get in the way of version of reality.

Freetrader like so many God fearing right wing folks just believe what they believe - facts come second with that kind of poster.

"The failure to find bin Laden was a seminal moment in the history of the war in Afghanistan. And it was a catastrophe. From that moment—the moment he escaped his apparent hideout in Tora Bora and went on to make his sneering speeches and send them out to the world—from that moment everything about the Afghanistan war became unclear, unfocused, murky and confused. The administration in Washington, emboldened by what it called its victory over the Taliban, decided to move on Iraq. Its focus shifted, it took its eye off the ball, and Afghanistan is now what it is. "

By the way the date of this was a book review on Donald Rumsfeld's book - March 2011.

MARCH 11, 2011, 6:45 P.M. ET Wall Street Journal.

The Defense Secretary Who Let Bin Laden Get Away
    Memoirist Rumsfeld seems to forget why we went to Afghanistan.

The Defense Secretary Who Let Bin Laden Get Away - WSJ.com

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast