Like Tree1Likes

Mt Pinatubo day and Japan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

All cities, all buildings, all construction, all people, are doomed in the long run. Being from California, I've read a couple of interesting books on the geological history of California, and it is pretty clear that we all just live on a slowly moving wave that will eventually crush all human edifices. But that is OK, humans live in the short run.

What's true for California and Japan is true, in slightly different fashion, everywhere else. There isn't one place on earth that is free from the occasional natural disaster, and more importantly, in the long run, the odds of being destroyed by nature are 100%. Best to always consider this and take solace of the fact that we all live in the short to medium term.

I guess they should have left the Patong beach strip empty and stopped all the coastal building project around Phuket and Khao Lak too... Forget all the economic benefit and let the population wallow in sorrow and poverty instead because of a freak accident that may not happen again this century.

You were worried about your boat getting hit by a super typhoon last year. HK is known for typhoons yet you choose to live on a boat.... Can you have it both ways?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    There is a complete difference between suggesting one relocate millions of existing dwellings (which I am not) and suggesting that when flattened after a disaster, one take a step back and rethink exactly what gets rebuilt to be safer / more prudent for the future (which I am suggesting). I struggle to figure out why this is such a contentious position to be honest. Is anyone in Japan really wanting to rebuild homes on the beach right now?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    So they shouldn't rebuild Christchurch?
    Probably not in some places, no.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2