Like Tree43Likes

Another Frenchman....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Another Frenchman....

Since Shri closed the other thread, which is fine by me since indeed the name calling was in full swing, I thought I would open a new thread on this topic to keep following up on the events - whatever conclusion is reached.

There are obvioulsy a lot more to read in the French press (the US press is very busy with another trial those days and July 4th) but from today WSJ:

Strauss-Kahn's Party - WSJ.com

and NYT:
    Dominique Strauss-Kahn News - The New York Times

There was also alleged phone calls to criminals and people on the day of the 'attack' to determine if she should go to the police or not.

Can I clear one thing up though, has he or has not admitted to consensual sexual activity?

So far it seems like a big mess and everything seems so different from what was originally wrote in the press a month ago that all is pretty hard to believe (either way)

It goes to show one thing at least, in my opinion, the US should rethink the way their justice system works and deal with such cases with a lot more care and much less sensationalism - I am sorry to say it again but the handcuff thing in front of the cameras BEFORE trial is just plain wrong.

bookblogger and Dreadnought like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Can I clear one thing up though, has he or has not admitted to consensual sexual activity?
    I think he stated that he had plucked her (like a ripe peach)... or was that another Frenchman?
    luckycat, hullexile and lisabui like this.

Hiow would that be relevant?

If the sex was consensual (not sure he admitted this or not) it would just be one (marreid) guy having sex with one girl - this happens every day, everywhere in the world and while it might be a cause for divorce, it isn't a case of rape.
    Last edited by Mat; 04-07-2011 at 10:16 AM.
    chateau likes this.

This thread should be renamed to "Another Frenchman Falsely Accused of Inappropriate Sexual Conduct".

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    It goes to show one thing at least, in my opinion, the US should rethink the way their justice system works and deal with such cases with a lot more care and much less sensationalism - I am sorry to say it again but the handcuff thing in front of the cameras BEFORE trial is just plain wrong.
    I agree. That was disguisting and shameful the way he was paraded like that with handcuffs before even a trial.

All men here. We need to be very conscious of the fact that this could happen to ANY of us. If we do some consensual mutual activities, and produce also in the process some “forensic evidence” on her a woman later can cry "RAPE!". It then becomes very difficult to disprove this claim in modern society, where there is an inclination to believe a female accuser. This is a power many women are well aware of, and it is one of the nastiest abuses of process one can do to harm a man’s reputation, pride, and dignity like that. I suspect it has also occurred from time in the workplace, between a senior male and a female worker. Again, on such an occasion, whether true or not, the claims can become very damaging for the man to deal with in the modern workplace era.

I believe he vehemently just denied all charges and did not say more than that. It would be crazy for him to go beyond that. I was quite shocked with how strong his denial was at the outset and felt that even when he resigned the IMF he was too strong in rebutting the charges. Doing so is fine if you are innocent. Doing so if they find you guilty does not help at sentencing.

This woman might have had some sort of dalliance and then possibly claimed to him she was going to report a rape thus explaining his sudden departure for his flight.

There was a rush to judgment here and charges and lots of strong statements from the prosecution which they say is typical of New York. Their only defence to that would be the flight risk - but if this is all bogus look at the damage it has done to him.

@ chateau - I would say YOU need to be very careful. were you not arguing before that "no seldom means no"?

luckycat and SiuMaiTaiTai like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast