Like Tree197Likes

London riots

Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler View Post
    But getting back to topic, can anyone compare the kind of riot/crowd control techniques in the UK with US or Canada? I wonder what would happen if the UK applied US-style riot control, or if the US applied UK-style crowd control...

You kidding again Freetrader?
    Oh, please. I know that you (and I) are a bit long in the tooth, but you going to bring up the Watts riots of 1965? Almost 50 years ago? Are you kidding?

Anyway, the point is relative - most years in France, there are riots every night during the summer.

Probably the best rioter in the world....

I think if water cannon are used, they have to be imported from Northern Ireland or France.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    The US in 50 years.
    You mean in 50 years the US will be a damp little island off the coast of Europe full of rioting football hoolligans? Oh, no!
    shri likes this.

I havent been paying attention to what happens in the UK, but are the rioters all black like in the LA Rodney King riots, or is it a mixed bag?

Correct me if I am wrong but the dude that was taken out was an armed drug dealer who shot at the cops first correct?

I dont see why this is big news, some ex con gets taken out back home, and people dont bat an eye...

If the shop keepers were allowed to be armed with say AK's or the standard infantry SA-80 bullpup. People would be less inclined to riot and loot, they would protest and march peacefully but not riot and loot.

An armed society is a polite society...

Last edited by HongKongFoot; 09-08-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    You mean in 50 years the US will be a damp little island off the coast of Europe full of rioting football hoolligans? Oh, no!
    No, he meant in 50 years the US will be a meaningless third world country dreaming of still being a world power. Oh, no! That's what the US is now.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    Correct me if I am wrong but the dude that was taken out was an armed drug dealer who shot at the cops first correct?
    There will be an investigation on that, but as far as I know there is no proof that he shot, or even he displayed a gun. Though apparently he had a gun in his pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    An armed society is a polite society...
    Yes, like US people! Famous for being well-mannered and polite! LOL

No not all black. There are a lot of photos on the British newspaper sites. E.g http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/a...1_1356768a.jpg

The "dude that was taken out" was black. There was a peaceful protest about the handling which appears to have been hijacked by those with a different agenda. An early police spokesman's comment was something along the lines of "we could have liaised with the man's family in a better way".

Quote Originally Posted by jacky_se:
    There will be an investigation on that, but as far as I know there is no proof that he shot, or even he displayed a gun. Though apparently he had a gun in his pocket.

Yes, he was carrying a gun, a policeman had a bullet from it lodged in his radio, according to the media.

Not the whole USA is armed, some states have bans on gun ownership and shockingly enough, those are the areas with the highest rates of violent crime. Chicago, DC, NYC come to mind.

If you ban guns and take gun ownership out of the hands of normal law abiding citizens, the only ones that will be armed are the criminals.

Criminals do not walk into a gun store and buy a gun and have it registered.

Quote Originally Posted by jacky_se:

Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast