Like Tree197Likes

London riots

Closed Thread
Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 29 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    I know why you are saying this but England is broke and broken Mat. When no one is spending money, whatever job you invent will still pay nothing.
    ? Exaggeration - just a little?

My parents cook cakes and sell them in the local farmers market. I'd call that "creating your own job". They say that "more people are buying half-cakes than whole cakes' recently. So they cut the cakes in half and sell them as halves. Still sell all the cakes each day.

That's an interesting point you make, Roen. Maybe this is a grand scale insurance scam!

Well done Cammers!

And it shifts all of last season's stock that they couldn't sell (and the season before), to be replaced by all the latest seasons range....

One of the BBC's reporters who was living in the US came to an interesting revelation: despite the guns (and the homicide rate) on a general day-to-day level they actually felt safer in the US than the UK.

BBC NEWS | Programmes | From Our Own Correspondent | America's 'safety catch'

A British man I met in Colorado recently told me he used to live in Kent but he moved to the American state of New Jersey and will not go home because it is, as he put it, "a gentler environment for bringing the kids up."

This is New Jersey. Home of the Sopranos.

Brits arriving in New York, hoping to avoid being slaughtered on day one of their shopping mission to Manhattan are, by day two, beginning to wonder what all the fuss was about. By day three they have had had the scales lifted from their eyes.

I have met incredulous British tourists who have been shocked to the core by the peacefulness of the place, the lack of the violent undercurrent so ubiquitous in British cities, even British market towns.

"It seems so nice here," they quaver.

Of course the article also mentions a US woman who was shot by her husband after the hubby used a gun to 'blast' a hole into the side of his house so he could install his satellite dish.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    So, the 10 year old kid coming out of footlocker after looting a pair of new trainers should be shot?
    Damn right they should, it's time to instill some fear into the rioters so they don't think they can just act however they like . They will find that seeing their fellow rioter going down in a hail of bullets will have a most sobering effect on them, muhahaha.

But on a more serious note, while I don't buy the "gun solves everything" American approach, I can't really stand the "touchy-feely" "let's be friends with the world" approach either. Sometimes one has to bring out the whip to adminster some lessons on these rioters.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 10-08-2011 at 02:16 PM.

How many people would there be who want to replace their cars trying to find out where the next "event" is, driving down there and parking on the street hoping.........
    I have heard after hail storms in the past people have been caught damaging their cars with golf balls to try and get them replaced (the car, not the golf balls)

An interesting comment from Robert Mugabe............

The chaos has also brought an extraordinary round of commentary from some of the world's most authoritarian regimes, including Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe.
    The man usually at the centre of international condemnation used the London riots to demand Britain stop interfering in Zimbabwean affairs.
    "Britain I understand is on fire, London especially and we hope they can extinguish their fire, pay attention to their internal problems and to that fire which is now blazing all over, and leave us alone," he said in an address to his regime's armed forces.
    "We do not have any fire here and we do not want them to continue to create unnecessary problems in our country. We want peace, and the people of Zimbabwe want peace."

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    So, the 10 year old kid coming out of footlocker after looting a pair of new trainers should be shot?
    For a growing child, a properly fitted shoe for his growing feet is paramount.

I hope he spent time getting a proper fit with a trained shoeologist.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    pay attention to their internal problems and to that fire which is now blazing all over, and leave us alone
    For once he said something intelligent. I wish the US and European countries would stop interfering in other countries' internal affairs, and sort out their problems first.

They are trying them on first, then queing at the checkout to remove security tags!
    Looters Tried On Shoes In $157m Rampage

Closed Thread
Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 29 ... LastLast