Like Tree197Likes

London riots

Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 25 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 41 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    David Cameron said that anyone convicted of violent disorder would be sent to prison. Does he have that power? Thought sentencing was up to the judges and the law?
    Unless it is an automatically imprisonable (is that even a word? I am so tired) offence

Quote Originally Posted by limepickle:
    What did they do for themselves LC?

The UK is a liberal democratic country with ample opportunities for anyone prepared to work hard (with, I might add, a decent free education and health system). This is why it is generally considered within Europe to be a good place to live and why large numbers of hard working immigrants move there and make a good honest living. There is simply no excuse for this feeling of entitlement among the ‘give me now and F the rest of you’ generation that contribute little, if anything, to society and have no respect for the law or their community.

edit: Sorry for the rant - just this whole thing is starting to make me boil
    No idea of your background but I have the feeling you might come from a different one to me and LC. I have made it but that was down to a lot of luck, a high IQ and lovely blue eyes (and definitely not hard work, allergic to that). Even I was unemployed for many months when I was young.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Unless it is an automatically imprisonable (is that even a word? I am so tired) offence
    If it is then it is a pretty pointless thing to say. The man is a dick.

I've got some sleeping tablets which are great for jetlag (but don't tell my wife or the 3am nooky might go!) - sorry to mention that again in your current state

The documentary/reality series of "Blood Sweat and Takeaways" and the subsequent spin offs gives a good demonstration of the work ethic - those who do have jobs but feel they are entitled to more are given an eye opening experience that they really aren't hard done by compared to others, especially those who supply them with the items they consume. This group that are involved in the riots in the majority, it seems, are another step away again, that just feel they are in a hopeless situation and don't see a way out. This behaviour is not new - there have been robberies, muggings and attacks that are financially based for all of history and this really is financially based - getting something for nothing. This is just an escalation of it into a mass exercise fueled by a feeling that their actions having no consequence or that consequences will not make their plight worse. It shows me that the UK government are not in touch with all levels of their society.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    No idea of your background but I have the feeling you might come from a different one to me and LC. I have made it but that was down to a lot of luck, a high IQ and lovely blue eyes (and definitely not hard work, allergic to that). Even I was unemployed for many months when I was young.
    Before he retired my dad was a plumber (born in Manchester). My mum was a secretary in Birmingham when they met and did various jobs to put food on the table. I went to a grammar school because I passed my 11+ (my school blazer was paid for by the council because 70 quid was a lot of money and we were on income support).

I left school at 17 with ten GCSEs (no great achievement, granted) and worked my ass off.
    Last edited by limepickle; 11-08-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Why are you tired Lc? Late night?!

From my impression, the majority of the rioters come from a very different background eg young single parent who is long term unemployed with teenager (or several kids) who have had an upbringing seeing and being told what they can't have and getting constant negative reinforcement. They don't have a positive role model in their life demonstrating the benefits and results of hard work (or work at all). Then there are those who are just out to join in and see what they can get for free, and others who want to prove their place in their peer group which builds into mob mentality.

And to add to that, they are being told the economy is going badly and there will have to be cuts, the stock market is crashing (what's their reality of the stick market), the price of gold is up (really?? so?) and more companies will not offer jobs even if they were looking for one. Their plight just got worse with no input by them.

More than different background they come from a home where parents don't really give a $hit about what they do or don't, or the parents are themselves of the similar attitude and belief system.

limepickle and roen like this.

Indeed. Lack of being pushed by their parents to succeed in school, or of finding a job, lack of example of working parents with decent jobs, or in monogamous relationship (their parents probably have 5 kids with 5 different partners), etc. just goes to reinforce what they hear from their pears: unjust society where the rich grabs everything, no well-paid job or career prospect, etc. which goes to reinforce what they read or watch on the telly: government that takes away all benefits, the economy sucks, we are all going to be unemployed, etc..

The UK is really quite depressing. I was in Cambridge (one of the richest cities in the UK) a few months ago, and main street was littered with charity shops selling what people in Hong Kong throw in the rubbish bin.

Last edited by jacky_se; 11-08-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 25 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 41 ... LastLast