Like Tree197Likes

London riots

Reply
Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 ... LastLast
  1. #341

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,377

    Jacky I am certain I heard that charity shops either get a subsidy or some other form of rental assistance from the gummint. Maybe thats why they are so prevalent.

    My other half and I have been using peasant shops all our lives. I ransacked some in Ramsgate a week ago and got some amazing books and cufflinks. Our serving plates for our weding cermony are all from the peasant shop too.


  2. #342

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Bay Road
    Posts
    5,659
    Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Jacky I am certain I heard that charity shops either get a subsidy or some other form of rental assistance from the gummint. Maybe thats why they are so prevalent.

    My other half and I have been using peasant shops all our lives. I ransacked some in Ramsgate a week ago and got some amazing books and cufflinks. Our serving plates for our weding cermony are all from the peasant shop too.
    You cheap ba$tard...

  3. #343

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,478

    My dad used to go to auctions and his first rule was if nobody bid, he'd bid £1. He'd generally fill the car with huge boxes and sift through it later. boxes of books, boxes of cutlery, all sorts!

    We've got about a million silver spoons at home in UK and yet I wasnt born with one in my mouth.


  4. #344

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    240

    Maybe it's a British thing. As a non-British person, I find second hand shops on main street depressing.


  5. #345

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,478
    Quote Originally Posted by jacky_se:
    Maybe it's a British thing. As a non-British person, I find second hand shops on main street depressing.
    OK so people have explained why they don't find it depressing.

    Can you explain why you find it depressing - other than you're not British?

  6. #346

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    240

    Basically it shows that people don't have any money.

    Main street is where the most expensive shops usually are (LV, Prada, Rolex, and so on). Not that I buy that kind of crap, but if the most expensive things on sale in a city are second hand things, then your country's economy is in trouble. It means that nobody can afford new things, and things only get recycled. How many jobs are created with this approach?

    Not that I dislike second hand shops. I certainly go in there much more often than I would go to into an LV shop (which is never).


  7. #347
    Quote Originally Posted by jacky_se:
    Basically it shows that people don't have any money.

    Main street is where the most expensive shops usually are (LV, Prada, Rolex, and so on). Not that I buy that kind of crap, but if the most expensive things on sale in a city are second hand things, then your country's economy is in trouble. It means that nobody can afford new things, and things only get recycled. How many jobs are created with this approach?

    Not that I dislike second hand shops. I certainly go in there much more often than I would go to into an LV shop (which is never).
    So, where are you from then? My guess is overseas educated HK person. Just a hunch.

    You're talking about Cambridge. A town of about 100,000 people and a good chunk of them are actually students from all over the world. That's why there are second hand shops. Students love that stuff. What on earth do LV, Prada, Rolex etc have to do with anything?
    SiuMaiTaiTai and Skyhook like this.

  8. #348

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Jacky I am certain I heard that charity shops either get a subsidy or some other form of rental assistance from the gummint. Maybe thats why they are so prevalent.
    Correct. Charity shops in England and Wales are exempt from corporation tax on profits and have a zero VAT rating on the sale of donated goods. They also get 80% relief on non-domestic rates AND a further 20% rate relief at the discretion of the local authority. I would imagine that most local authorities give this. I also imagine that the law in Scotland is the same.

  9. #349

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,478
    Quote Originally Posted by jacky_se:
    Basically it shows that people don't have any money.
    Or it shows that people with money don't necessarily want to waste it on a gucci bag

  10. #350

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    833

    One chain of shops which has prospered in Britain recently is Poundland which is now expanding into Europe.

    Poundland to expand into eurozone under 'Dealz' brand - Telegraph


Reply
Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 ... LastLast