Like Tree197Likes

London riots

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    You're all descended from Criminals anyway
    Yes, British criminals!

We breed out this activity long ago!

The Guardian 15 September 2010- Theresa May: We can cut police budget without risking violent unrest

The home secretary, Theresa May, has dismissed fears that deep spending cuts could undermine the ability of the police to tackle possible civil unrest, and insisted the British did not respond to austerity by rioting on the streets.
    hullexile and luckycat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    And as for no jobs - I'm not sure. Are there really NO jobs? If that's the case, why are the hotels and restaurants all staffed by eastern europeans? Is it, perhaps, that there are no jobs British people with a sense of entitlement will take on the pay that is offered?
    Totally agree. Jobs are there but the culture of put your hand out and you will be paid dole for doing nothing rather than earning less for working is rife.

The start at the bottom and work your way up concept seems to have all but dissapeared.

This also happens with the graduates who give the appearance that they seem to think that they are entitled to walk into a directorship and be driving a flash car by the end of their first year just because they got a degree.

The occurences of the last few days makes me sad to be British!

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    I imagine the parents are probably with them
    Yes that's one thing I don't miss about the UK... blind parental support of children, especially in areas where there's a lot of crime, which becomes a very circular issue. In HK one thing which was refreshing, and surprising, to see was that parents are on the teachers' side, almost always. They'll tell their kids to listen to the teachers, and request that teachers tell them of the kid steps out of line.

In the UK I remember naughty children usually had no fear whatsoever because if they got in trouble their mum or dad would believe every lie they told them, and then come in and shout at the teacher in question. Overprotective beyond belief.

This kind of blind loyalty to kids (from certain parents, not all obviously!) stretches too far and leads to young people with an air of invincibility. From school teachers, the authority figure to hate and defy becomes the policeman, then the prison warden.

Perhaps this incident might readdress some of these feelings of invincibility. But more likely it will lead to more and more anger as people are given the perfect excuse to confirm and vocalise their feelings that they were right all along. They'll be selling stories to the tabloids about how the police have always been unfair on their lovely little sweet children.

Ok, end of rant.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    This wouldn't happen in God's country, Australia!
    Send the rioters to a US jail. I'm sure this gentlemen will look after them, yikes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=077UtUWGQOA
    Last edited by jimbob70; 09-08-2011 at 12:45 PM.

I'm in the unholy alliance of TheBrit and Moving, we do not need more guns.

There are jobs out there, just not enough of them.

The rioters are not a homogenous mass as some on here seem to think. There are those protesting about austerity and poverty, there are those who just want trouble and there are those looking to loot (oh and a few about the police shooting). During the riots associated with football many of those arrested were in good jobs.

Haringey youth club closures: 'There'll be riots'

From The Guardian 31 July 2011

BBC News - Unemployment in graphics

You can zoom in and see where the UK unemployment is. Over 8% in Tottenham. These numbers if like Canada are usually under estimated as many people simply give up and don't bother to look for work.

Immigration might not be at the heart of the issue here but certainly lack of job opportunities usually is with no reasonable hopes for many. Granted many in western societies spurn the chances they get for a decent education but overall right now the UK economy like the US and other nations cannot provide enough good, decent paying jobs like those of us who are older had the good fortune to have.

Gov'ts in the west have lost their way with the people and today force the students at univ and colleges to pay more of the real cost of their education and they have reduced spending on R&D and investing in people via social programs (as Reagan and Thatcher convinced the world this was bad to do). Even George Shultz, this year said that the US needs to get back to doing R&D and yet his hero, Reagan was the guy who got gov't out of that. The irony is that those of us in our 60s today who paid far less of our education are now those coming up with market rated degrees that attract less than a diverse mix of people.

In Canada many resort to drug trafficking due to the economics being so good. Read that the marijuana growers are now moving to the US as housing is so cheap and they will grow there... big difference there though if you get caught they actually put you in jail for a long time.

Today univ. degrees that are market rated are getting rich kids in and turning off poorer families.

In my day we did not pay the same percentage of today of post secondary education BUT there were great summer jobs for students so they could finance their education. Education, R&D must be the future again in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Don't think she will be getting a job as a fortune teller.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob70:
    Send the rioters to a US jail. I'm sure this gentlemen will look after them, yikes...

‪tossed salad man‬‏ - YouTube
    Ain't no guy gonna toss my salad!

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast