Social Media and Governments

Social Media and Governments

Globe and Mail: Panicked over social media, Mr. Cameron joins company of autocrats 11 August 2011

On Wednesday, British Prime Minister David Cameron addressed the rioting that swept his country and declared that he was looking into blocking unspecified troublemakers’ access to Twitter and another network, BlackBerry Messenger.
    The Telegraph: How Egypt shut down the internet 28 January 2011

Virtually all internet access in Egypt is cut off today as the government battles to contain the street protests that threaten to topple President Hosni Mubarak.

The Guardian: Does publishing photos of rioters infringe their human rights?
    11 August 2011

In the wake of the recent violence in cities across England, the police have been releasing photographs of individuals in an appeal to the public for assistance in identifying them and bringing them to justice.
    In the article, the writer says that rioters rights are not infringed. Also see Flickr: Metropolitan Police, and compare to Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps: Gerdab (for background see Global Voices: Iranian officials ‘crowd-source' protester identities )

While I can see the reasoning behind restricting access to the Internet for someone who is rioting or organising a riot, I'm not sure how practically it can be done, without withdrawing Internet access for all. Regarding pictures, it reminds me that whenever there is a demonstration in Hong Kong, there are also police taking videos of the demonstrators. If the demonstrators you can say fair enough, but when the demonstrators are peaceful, what happens to the film?

As a recent person tweeted about david cameron, 'blocking social media won't stop rioting but it may briefly interrupt criticism of your leadership'.