Like Tree39Likes

Gordon Ramsay and shark's fin soup

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    whether or not you like the guy, at least he's trying to make a difference.
    I like him, but I am not sure he is a good guy.

i think he can be a total ass... but when it comes to running a restaurant, he knows what he's doing... he can be abrasive, sure, but i wonder how much of that is for the camera (kinda like simon cowell)?

Sharkfins are to Chinese as Tea and Crumpets are to the Brits. You take away a cultures food, you take away its identity. Like what they did to the cannibals, took away cannibalism and wiped out whole villages with the common cold and the bible. Or to the native americans, took away Manhattan island for a trade of beads and smallpox infected blankets.

Im being facetious, relax its another glorious AM here in America, time to have an espresso and homemade waffles...

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    Sharkfins are to Chinese as Tea and Crumpets are to the Brits. You take away a cultures food, you take away its identity. Like what they did to the cannibals, took away cannibalism and wiped out whole villages with the common cold and the bible. Or to the native americans, took away Manhattan island for a trade of beads and smallpox infected blankets.

Im being facetious, relax its another glorious AM here in America, time to have an espresso and homemade waffles...

Love and Trolls - Boxxy - YouTube

I think all those British celebrity chefs are horrible. I've watched Hell's Kitchen for like 2 minutes and I needed to change the channel immediately. I don't understand why other people would find that someone who verbal abuses others night and day entertaining.

And I think the ban of shark fin is a much more complicated issue than all these westerners suddenly jumping on this bandwagon and shouting "No shark fin soup for you Chinese people!" There should be more stringent law to limit the amount of harvesting of shark. Or maybe fishermen are required to use the whole shark when caught and not just cut off the fins and throw them back in water.

Quote Originally Posted by YCC:
    Or maybe fishermen are required to use the whole shark when caught and not just cut off the fins and throw them back in water.
    And how would that help the sharks? - They still die. Sure, throwing them back is cruel but the issue is that their numbers are declining, especially since Chinese become more wealthy and therefore demand for "fine cuisine" like shark fin soup increases.
    dear giant likes this.

And I think the ban of shark fin is a much more complicated issue than all these westerners suddenly jumping on this bandwagon and shouting "No shark fin soup for you Chinese people!" There should be more stringent law to limit the amount of harvesting of shark. Or maybe fishermen are required to use the whole shark when caught and not just cut off the fins and throw them back in water.
    They're not saying "No shark fin soup for you Chinese people!" Again this isn't about them and us which seems to be a fixation for you YCC. It's wanting to cut out a barbaric practice carried out by fisherman regardless of where they are from.

It seems that when someone whitie comes along and points a finger at someone of a different race it seems the whitie is vilified for pointing something out to them they don't want to know.

It's not about no shark fin soup for Chinese it's about understanding, conservation and responsible farming.
    Last edited by virago; 11-09-2011 at 09:15 AM.

I think all those British celebrity chefs are horrible. I've watched Hell's Kitchen for like 2 minutes and I needed to change the channel immediately. I don't understand why other people would find that someone who verbal abuses others night and day entertaining.
    If you don't like celebrity British chefs, howabout Yao Ming then?

I think the problem is not the suppliers- they are just poor fishermen trying to make a living. If there was no demand, the fishermen would not catch the sharks.
    bookblogger and dear giant like this.

What about the Japanese and the wholesale slaughter of cetaceans? Anyone ever watch the movie called The Cove? If Gordon and the rest of the world wanted to really do something, they should do something about the Japanese.

In the past, sharks were taken for food, not just the fins and it was sustainable since the fishermen only took what was needed to sell to market, which is meat and all. Currently, the meat is not worth as much as the fins, so naturally they go for whats the highest profit.

I dont support killing an animal for just one part, an animal flesh and all if taken should be used as best as possible. You have to remember though there is no such thing as a humane kill. You're still taking a living creatures life, but its best to do it as painless as possible.

Caution the clip is graphic:

dear giant likes this.