Like Tree73Likes

"Chinese society has no moral compass"?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

"I could be asking the lady in a store to recommend me something and get quoted $125, and the next store can be selling the exact same bottle for $25. That seems to be the way they deal, and I suspect they don't see anything immoral about this."

neither do I see anything immoral about this.
    why should moral dictate the profit margin for products that are not life savers ?
    The market will take care of it.

btw, there is many businesses where you don't know about the huge profit margins

klebestift likes this.

Agree with Morrisson here

When you buy an Ipad, do you chack before how much it costed them to make it?

I guess not, you just buy cos you need/want it.

Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    From personal experience in Hong Kong, all the immoral behavior that I see ties in with money. I didn't witness anything non-money related.

I could be asking the lady in a store to recommend me something and get quoted $125, and the next store can be selling the exact same bottle for $25. That seems to be the way they deal, and I suspect they don't see anything immoral about this.

Then there's the "I hold onto your money and you'll never get it back" issue. You go purchase furniture, the next thing was that after 2 months of waiting it finally arrived but 1 piece was not functional. You request for that piece's money back as you do not want to wait and have no confidence in them, but they keep your money, and keeps it until you either accept a 2nd delivery (which will be another 2 months) or they'll happily fight you out on court.

I asked about this with locals and they told me 20 years ago people in Hong Kong weren't like this. I guess to some extent, zero consequence of ill monetary practice dug character holes in a culture.

Hong Kong really needs some regulations.
    Similar to your statements, but not necessarily HK-based and on a nearly-infinitely larger scale than getting taken at a HK shop . . . Ladies and gentlemen, I present Goldman Sachs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Agree with Morrisson here

When you buy an Ipad, do you chack before how much it costed them to make it?

I guess not, you just buy cos you need/want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    "I could be asking the lady in a store to recommend me something and get quoted $125, and the next store can be selling the exact same bottle for $25. That seems to be the way they deal, and I suspect they don't see anything immoral about this."

neither do I see anything immoral about this.
    why should moral dictate the profit margin for products that are not life savers ?
    The market will take care of it.

btw, there is many businesses where you don't know about the huge profit margins
    It may be market driven, but there should be a code of ethics to it. That the higher price you pay, the higher quality it should be relative to low costing products.

To put it in a different way, you're basically saying some of the self proclaimed English teachers you see here who can barely write a sentence without flaw are okay staying as English teachers. Problem is, the child nor the parents are informed that the tutor is incompetent. They get demand as a result of consumer's ignorance, but whatever happened to the tutor's part of the responsibility?

It's the taking advantage of consumer ignorance that I have trouble with. If consumers are informed, obviously, they can buy a high cost ipad when manufactured price is low. But if the consumer is ill informed, then there's an ethical issue involved in the transaction.
    Last edited by Creative83; 26-10-2011 at 04:06 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

Why only "Chinese society", I think it should be a universal question.

Where is YCC?

dear giant likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Ha ha, like shooting fish in a barrel.

1.) Don't remember mentioning Christianity but that jellyfish seems to be holding a Bible...
    2.) You do realise that your cartoon actually supports what I said and that most Christians would agree with it's sentiment? Actually, I don't think you're that clever.

@ ReverendJay and TigerSun, Rani's put a sticky thread up about Diwali - here's a wiki about Diwali

It will be interesting to read your comments on her thread.......that's......of course..........if you've got the backbone for it.....................

I think people are confusing business ethics with morals. If a business is unscrupulous by cheating people out of their money, then it is an issue of business ethics.

However, if one is talking in terms of social issues such as racism, abortion, gay rights, and religion, then those can be classified under morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinesedelivery:
    I think people are confusing business ethics with morals. If a business is unscrupulous by cheating people out of their money, then it is an issue of business ethics.

However, if one is talking in terms of social issues such as racism, abortion, gay rights, and religion, then those can be classified under morals.
    The poor business ethics are a corollary of the moral problem (which I think is due to a near absence of empathy).

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast