Like Tree73Likes

"Chinese society has no moral compass"?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Is it just me or has anyone not really had many issues as a consumer? Case in example: I wanted ketokonazole (for the dog, not me).

Example 1. The vet said I could get exactly the same drug from the same supplier cheaper in the pharmacists down the road.

Example 2: The pharmacist confirmed they had that drug, however recommended i buy the generic type at about a tenth of the price.

A very happy consumer experience. I would still rather take a dump in your ferrari than shag your bike*.

*I may have forgotten the exact quote

Last edited by luckycat; 26-10-2011 at 10:16 PM.
    dear giant and Satay Sue like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinesedelivery:
    I think people are confusing business ethics with morals. If a business is unscrupulous by cheating people out of their money, then it is an issue of business ethics.

However, if one is talking in terms of social issues such as racism, abortion, gay rights, and religion, then those can be classified under morals.
    You can not separate morals and ethics. Ethics is the study of morality.

My question remains? What has this to do with China? In my view it's the society as a whole, not just China.

Africa by and large is a mess, ditto the Middle East. Russia is corrupted big big time, Latin/central america is facing huge drug/violence issue, America prefers to lead some useless wars abroad instead of using its money/ power to make the world better (medical progress....) and Europe is broke. None of those are beacons of morality ....

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Is it just me or has anyone not really had many issues as a consumer? Case in example: I wanted ketokonazole (for the dog, not me).

Example 1. The vet said I could get exactly the same drug from the same supplier cheaper in the pharmacists down the road.

Example 2: The pharmacist confirmed they had that drug, however recommended i buy the generic type at about a tenth of the price.
    Yes, Mr SS has had similar experience with medication here.

We are I assume speaking about the Mainland here, as usual.

China has one of the world's greatest civilizations, complete with an ethical (better word is this context than 'moral', I think) code. The greatness of China on an individual level can be seen all around us. On a social level...well, it's a little different. Confucianism and Buddhism still influences the interaction of people on personal/family level. In fact, confucianism and buddhism go very well together because one moderates the weaknesses of the other. Some of those rules are a little archaic but you can't doubt the positive side of the Confucian pursuit of education and work ethic, and the buddhist philosophy of compassion.

The problem is outside the family, and in society. The commies quite deliberately destroyed the confucian and buddhist structure that held Chinese society together in constructing the great Stalinist edifice of the personality cult. That didn't work out too well, so the government turned to the pursuit of money as an end in itself during the 1980s. That's all fine for basic economic development, but it leaves society without a binding ethical structure.

Confucius famously said that a ruler must do not what is good for the State, but what is moral and just. When the rulers are cynical, greedy, unnaccountable for their actions, and indifferent to the welfare of the people, one can't blame society for behaving the same way, getting what they can when they can, and walking the other way when a two-year old girl lies bleeding and dying in the street.

Watercooler and MovingIn07 like this.

Chinese trucker ‘reversed over boy to ensure he died’ | | The Week UK

And I just saw the footage of the 2 year old , had to stop watching and just cried my eyes out. Nauseating. And for those who haven't seen it I advise you not to watch.
    Last edited by Satay Sue; 27-10-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    When the rulers are cynical, greedy, unnaccountable for their actions, and indifferent to the welfare of the people, one can't blame society for behaving the same way, getting what they can when they can, and walking the other way when a two-year old girl lies bleeding and dying in the street.
    That pretty much describes 99% of the leaders in the world.

(except maybe the "unacountable: part in some democracies and still not even that sure)

Bryant, the point Tiger and I are making to your original statement was summed up rather nicely in today's SCMP in one of the letters to the editor about the Donald's religious beliefs and politics...

Religious affiliation does not equate with political competence, and more importantly, does not equate with the practice of moral behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    It may be market driven, but there should be a code of ethics to it. That the higher price you pay, the higher quality it should be relative to low costing products.

To put it in a different way, you're basically saying some of the self proclaimed English teachers you see here who can barely write a sentence without flaw are okay staying as English teachers. Problem is, the child nor the parents are informed that the tutor is incompetent. They get demand as a result of consumer's ignorance, but whatever happened to the tutor's part of the responsibility?

It's the taking advantage of consumer ignorance that I have trouble with. If consumers are informed, obviously, they can buy a high cost ipad when manufactured price is low. But if the consumer is ill informed, then there's an ethical issue involved in the transaction.
    That is incorrect. Your first example was about two identical products, your second is about the difference in the quality of a service rendered.

In general, I got the impression your argumentation is kind of weak and thus I doubt you are in a position to preach moral, sorry. I have not read through the rest of the thread.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast