Like Tree21Likes

actor Christian Bale vs. Mainland Thugs

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I don't get it. I'm sure any one doing the same in the US would have been Rodney King'ed by the cops if they're tried to force their way into a home where someone was under house arrest.
    Err, no. If you are considered to be a dangerous criminal, you would be in jail in the US - which in nearly all circumstances permits regualr visitation. "House arrest" in the US is typically a sentence imposed on convicts that a judge believes are not dangerous and are likely to be rehabilitated. House arrest in the US can exclusively confine a person to his or her residence, but that isn't always the case (and, in fact, it seldom is). When the judge places a person on home detention, the judge orders the defendant to abide by specific terms and conditions that restrict their freedom and mobility. These terms and conditions may include curfew restrictions, random drug testing, and/or in-office face-to-face meetings or home visits with a probation or parole officer.

And...depending on the severity of an offense and prior criminal record a judge may even allow a defendant to work or attend school, travel to medical appointments,
    attend and participate in counseling appointments, alcohol / drug classes, community service, etc., tend to family obligations, and participate in any other court-approved activities while on house arrest.

There are generally some restrictions on who may visit you at home while under house arrest, for example, in most cases convicted felons can't go there, but for the most part you can receive visitors while under house arrest. Also, the monitoring is done electronically. There aren't any thugs, police or anyone else standing outside guarding.

Additionally, even in prison in the US, almost ALL inmates, including convicted murderers on death row, can receive visitors at regular times.

Really, prisoner rights in any Western country with an established judicial system cannot be compared to how they treat prisoners in China...

In my humble opinion, I don't think those Chinese thugs give a hoot about whether they are beating up Batman or not (in fact, they might be proud of doing so had they knew). When it comes down to what the Chinese authorities consider to be national security, then it doesn't matter whether you are batman or superman, you are still going to get a beating if you offend the Chinese state. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I don't get it. I'm sure any one doing the same in the US would have been Rodney King'ed by the cops if they're tried to force their way into a home where someone was under house arrest.

One more PR stunt for an upcoming movie I assume...
    Really? So people under house arrest in the US (for vague, non-specific crimes, of course) are denied access to the outside world, and anyone coming to see them is beaten? I don't recall seeing this happen.

BTW, a person under 'house arrest' by definition is not guarded. They are simply required to stay home.
    dear giant and Gatts like this.

They gave in and scampered off pretty quickly, didn't they? Did they think this visit through properly? Probably would have caused more trouble for the blind lawyer chap in the long run.