Like Tree13Likes

Wikipedia blacked out tomorrow as a protest

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Facebook shutting down for a day would see workplace productivity improve a bit.

luckycat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Facebook shutting down for a day would see workplace productivity improve a bit.
    Facebook? What about Geobloodyexpat?

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    What about Geobloodyexpat?
    I'm going to buy that domain

Quote Originally Posted by Loz_2:
    I don't get how they think inconveniencing people who rely on Wikipedia will help their cause. It just pisses people off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile
    Because people will be pissed that their favorite sites (reddit, wiki, many others) will not be working, and they will want to know why. When they realize its because the government is trying to censor our pretty little eyes and basically give all power of the internet to the entertainment industry to reign unstoppable hell upon us....well then more people will get involved and speak out to the senators and so forth.

if they don't do anything, then less people will actually bother to do something about it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 SnowCone using GeoClicksMouthFoam

Quote Originally Posted by Loz_2:
    I don't get how they think inconveniencing people who rely on Wikipedia will help their cause. It just pisses people off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile
    then people better get used to it because if SOPA gets passed they can expect more of the same
    drumbrake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Facebook? What about Geobloodyexpat?
    What's the general % population on Geo that's actually viewing from the US though.

I think Wikipedia explained it all quite well. They even told you how to bypass the ban if you were desperate for wiki

Kirby, it's not viewers in the US, its the entire English site worldwide.

There are several good articles on Slate about this topic if anyone cares to go read them.

I think Indian govt is also thinking of bringing a similar ban on websites, where they'll prosecute the site owners (blogsites, facebook et al) as well as the posters for typing anything other than how good everything is, how good our beloved leaders are, how lovely the weather is etc etc...Hope such law is NEVER passed.

All sounds very familiar... I seem to remember the usa criticising China for their censorship. Oh the irony.