Like Tree116Likes

10-year-old arrested in 'face kick' football incident

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,893

    It is my understanding that if a 10 year old hits another kid on the head with a hammer and kills him it is murder. He may not be criminally liable, but it's still murder.

    Why should kicking somebody in the head be a crime at one age but not at the other? It has nothing to do with being liable, the crime still happened.

    But that's my understanding of the legal system, I might be completely wrong.


  2. #22

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,163
    Quote Originally Posted by 100LL
    It is my understanding that if a 10 year old hits another kid on the head with a hammer and kills him it is murder. He may not be criminally liable, but it's still murder.

    Why should kicking somebody in the head be a crime at one age but not at the other? It has nothing to do with being liable, the crime still happened.

    But that's my understanding of the legal system, I might be completely wrong.
    IANAL but I think you are wrong. I'm sure our local lawyers will chime in.
    If the kid hat full intention of harm, he is liable.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,893

    So liable but can't be punished? Maybe I just used the wrong wording, as I sometimes do - ie. stubborn vs. stupid

    Last edited by 100LL; 20-03-2012 at 09:43 AM.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Grüne Hölle (CWB)
    Posts
    1,465
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    Some ppl looked at the video and saw it as an accident. Some others (I'm in this camp) saw the video and saw intentional behaviour.
    Had to google to find an unadulterated video...
    ...but after viewing it a few times, the 10 year-old kid just looked a bit tired and sloppy, not aggressive and malicious to me. In fact, it looked to me like the ball popped towards him just as he was winding up to kick it (perhaps because the kid on the ground kicked it away from himself). So I can't really go with "intentional" from that evidence.

    However, the (much longer than the useless DM version) video I saw also showed how bad the whole game had been up to that point--having never witnessed a HK youth football match before I have no idea if this was the norm, but the parents seemed to be more aggressive and hyped up than the kids...
    Satay Sue likes this.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    6,729
    Quote Originally Posted by LoughtonLion
    Better keep a very close eye on the kids on Sunday then, lucky my little lion cub is still under the age of criminal responsibility....
    Yikes, 10 7 year-olds - they'd probably call out the riot-police!

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Midlevels / USA (MD) / London
    Posts
    2,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King
    Leave it to the media to blow the whole incident out of proportion. What is this 'ugly race row' they are referring to?
    The comments on some of the video sites (not just Youtube but some of the ones in China) have a rather strong racial component to them. BadCanto wrote about them here:

    An International School’s Football Team Sparks Class and Racial War Online
    dear giant likes this.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Lootoo
    Had to google to find an unadulterated video...
    ...but after viewing it a few times, the 10 year-old kid just looked a bit tired and sloppy, not aggressive and malicious to me. In fact, it looked to me like the ball popped towards him just as he was winding up to kick it (perhaps because the kid on the ground kicked it away from himself). So I can't really go with "intentional" from that evidence.
    We already had that discussion here, the conclusion was that there isn't any conclusive proof that it was intention or accident. Everything else are just opinions and speculations, and as such meaningless if you want to determine if there was a criminal component to it.

    Now throw in the racial component and it can only get worst.
    Satay Sue and HowardCoombs like this.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,256

    An eye for an eye.

    Let the victim kick the other kid in the head.

    Problem solved.


  9. #29

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Raccon
    We already had that discussion here, the conclusion was that there isn't any conclusive proof that it was intention or accident. Everything else are just opinions and speculations, and as such meaningless if you want to determine if there was a criminal component to it.

    Now throw in the racial component and it can only get worst.
    which is one reason - and there are others - why having the kid formally arrested is ridiculous.
    Satay Sue likes this.

  10. #30
    Mat
    Mat is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,601

    Moving - God I hate doing this, but at 10 years old some of your fellow country men are able to do this:
    Two 10-year-old boys charged with raping girl, 8 | UK news | guardian.co.uk

    I am like most on this issue, the video isn't that clear and we do not know much (is there a history between those 2 kids? yes, no?) so I can't really say whether it is overblow (although in my view it might be somewhat) or not and maybe someone external (police?) can close this issue once and for all.


Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast