Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By methosb

Paperless office

Closed Thread

Paperless office

Who uses all the paper?

It's probably a bit more complicated than that single image you are posting here.

Also nothing about recycling in this graph. And a long time ago my teachers told me for each tree cut the paper industry needs to plant a new tree (probably oversimplified, but I was probably less than 12 years old at that time).

But what I can tell you is that the massive amount of useless newspapers, advertising catalogs and other crap you get on a daily basis in country no. #3 on the list is amazing. It would fill up a standard HK sized mail box in a day or two no question about that. And the worst, there is no way to stop it, even those stickers 'no circular mail' or putting yourself on the no-ad list don't work. I have a feeling that having a paperless office what somewhat help, but the main problems lies in the advertising industry/economy.

And what's the purpose of you posting it? I am just slightly puzzled.

Edit: found this Daily chart: I'm a lumberjack | The Economist

Last edited by 100LL; 07-04-2012 at 09:00 AM.

I would say idiots printing out an email they already sent to me when they come over to talk to me is part of the problem.

drumbrake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    Also nothing about recycling in this graph.
    HK probably does quite well at recycling paper - no figures to hand.

Where HK does fail badly is sorting at source for waste although the below link does give some hints for building committee to mull over then...

Guidebook on Source Separation of Waste in Residential Buildings

Original Post Deleted
    I have seen the same thing at MTR stations! Although MTR have recycle bins it appears they have no contracts for streamed waste disposal.

'Our overall Municipal Solid Waste recovery rate rate of 52%, up from 43% in 2005, is higher than Singapore (48%). Even our MSW recovery rate in the domestic sector (at 40%) compares favourably with New York City (26%) and London (27%)'

Perhaps the general waste levy will work? 2 days left to comment

http://www.epd.gov.hk/epd/msw_consult/english.html

Last edited by East_coast; 08-04-2012 at 02:53 AM.

The Belgium figures are unfair, since EU documents are printed in 23 languages for the benefit of the whole EU, not just Belgium. Somebody is making a political point here.

Best use of the Bush biography.