Like Tree146Likes

British man tried to rape a Chinese woman in Beijing and got beaten up.

Reply
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast
  1. #171

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    It just seems to me there are a disproportionate number of people who are fixated on the man getting kicked like he is the victim here, and less so on the woman or on understanding why the other men took it upon themselves to kick back. Someone said that rape (in general) was heinious and no need to debate. Whereas the kicking can be right or wrong, so that is where the debate lies, and that is the reason why there was so few denouncing the rape and so many arguing the kick.
    People are not arguing the kick - they are arguing vigilantism.

    A group of people believe that taking the law into your own hands is OK (and some people think if the crime is against your family it makes it even more so) and there is another group of people who think its wrong and it should be handled by the law of the land. I belong in this group, vigilantism is wrong (no, I wont change my mind if the rapee was my daughter and no, it doesnt matter what race the rapist was).

    There is yet another few people who think this discussion about vigilantism has something to do with race. I think this group is misguided and deluded.
    justjoe86 likes this.

  2. #172

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    And also it wasn't clear that "rape" had even taken place.
    True, the woman scream "no, no" was just an act. SS, by your line of reasoning, it was not clear the man was unconscious, because he could have been playing possum, since no one here was there to verify. Unless there was a report saying that he was unconscious before getting kicked in the head. Reading your post above does suggest to me that you do sympathise with the tourist.

  3. #173

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    True, the woman scream "no, no" was just an act
    It may have been real and it may have been an act. Unless you have access to some source of news that we have not seen, you don't really know, do you?
    Just as there have been zillions of cases of rape in this world, there have also been countless cases of false rape claims.
    We wont know the answer until the police deal with the evidence.
    Based on the video alone, its impossible to conclude.

  4. #174

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    People are not arguing the kick - they are arguing vigilantism.

    A group of people believe that taking the law into your own hands is OK (and some people think if the crime is against your family it makes it even more so) and there is another group of people who think its wrong and it should be handled by the law of the land. I belong in this group, vigilantism is wrong (no, I wont change my mind if the rapee was my daughter and no, it doesnt matter what race the rapist was).

    There is yet another few people who think this discussion about vigilantism has something to do with race. I think this group is misguided and deluded.
    HC, you have some good points. The beating took place immediately after the guy was pulled off the girl (as far the report showed). It was not like the Chinese waited a day, staked out all the expat bars and then beat up foreigners indiscriminantly. The latter case I don't agree with, but since it happened right then and there, I can see from the point of view of the locals.

  5. #175

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,112
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Its still not crystal nor just plain old clear to me what point your're attempting to make.
    This is what you said:

    Then you said :

    Yes, I now fully understand. Now to make it crystal clear, can you please point me to the person and the post where this "defending of him from the kick to the head" happened and who this person was.

    I have tried my damnest to preserve your words, intent and meaning. I hope you will try your damnest to be simple and direct : Who are these people that you are accusing of "defending of him from the kick to the head" and being "bleeding hearts"?
    I have already finish this point with JJ. You want to restart it?

  6. #176

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    HC, you have some good points. The beating took place immediately after the guy was pulled off the girl (as far the report showed). It was not like the Chinese waited a day, staked out all the expat bars and then beat up foreigners indiscriminantly. The latter case I don't agree with, but since it happened right then and there, I can see from the point of view of the locals.
    Yes, certainly - there are plenty of people who will agree with you (vigilantism is acceptable).
    I disagree, vigilantism is not acceptable. You should not translate my objection into a racial argument (as waterspout does). Many would disagree whether the beaters were white, black, yellow, brown or blue.

  7. #177

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    I have already finish this point with JJ. You want to restart it?
    Are you completely incapable of answering a simple and direct question?
    Who are these people that you are accusing of "defending of him from the kick to the head" and being "bleeding hearts"?

  8. #178

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,112

    "(no, I wont change my mind if the rapee was my daughter and no, it doesnt matter what race the rapist was)".

    Easy for you to say in a hypothetical situation. God forbid, if it actually does happen (and I'm not saying I hope that happens, even if I think you are a prick) would you be so sanguine?

    And it is about race most certainly. The fact he was a British man means the Chinese guy doing the kicking has plenty of applause on the mainland. Again, this has to do with what I said earlier. This goes back to the whole "foreign aggressor preying on Chinese" mentality.

    Last edited by Watercooler; 17-05-2012 at 02:05 PM.

  9. #179

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,112
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Are you completely incapable of answering a simple and direct question?
    Who are these people that you are accusing of "defending of him from the kick to the head" and being "bleeding hearts"?
    Are you completely incapable of reading my posts with JJ? Get some damn glasses. Or get some reading comprehension course.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 17-05-2012 at 02:06 PM.

  10. #180

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Easy for you to say in a hypothetical situation. God forbid, if it actually does happen (and I'm not saying I hope that happens, even if I think you are a prick) would you be so sanguine?
    I know myself and how I would deal with the situation.

    And it is about race most certainly. The fact he was a British man means the Chinese guy doing the kicking has plenty of applause on the mainland. Again, this has to do with what I said earlier. This goes back to the whole "foreign aggressor preying on Chinese" mentality.
    The applause up north is irrelevant, please answer my question about whats going on right here: Who are these people that you are accusing of "defending of him from the kick to the head" and being "bleeding hearts
    Yes, I've read what you wrote to JJ - completely avoided the question. Will you give a straight answer please?

Reply
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast