Like Tree146Likes

British man tried to rape a Chinese woman in Beijing and got beaten up.

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

WC, to answer your question. No, I don't think that by saying vigilantism is wrong, people are expressing sympathy. And just by saying it is wrong, nobody is saying they don't understand the impulse behind it.

Fact of the matter: If I witnessed my wife or daughter being raped, I would almost certainly beat the shit out of the rapist.

I would also, on reflection, readily admit that what I did was wrong, and I certainly wouldn't be expressing any sympathy to the guy who did it. I would just, on reflection, wish that I had not performed this act of vigilantism. Why? Because if everyone followed those same impulses, the whole world would be a disaster zone. And also because by performing this act of violence I would possibly end up in prison, which would hardly be helpful.

Adde to that, there are many cases in which a misunderstanding might result in such vigalante acts, which is why a thorough justice system is important.

So, clearly, you can think something is wrong without showing sympathy and without implying that you are always right.

Sorry for the bold but you do have a habit of reading the wrong words, or non existent words.

Last edited by justjoe86; 17-05-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Because its goddamn hilarious, thats why.

You go off on tangents, answer things that were not asked, find non existent and irrelevant problems, completely make stuff up and when called to task, you do it even more and dig bigger and bigger and deeper holes.

People laugh at you because you are laughable.
    I answer you because like a little toy, you amuse me.
    My little waterbottle, so much fun, so little time.
    Haha, you amused me too, to a endless degree. I never go off on tangents. I raised uncomfortable questions that needs to be asked. I do what I do and I don't apologize for it. It's laughable to think you can actually try to stop me? (Yeah sure, you are denying it, whatever).

You on the other hand is a groupthink enforcer. Trying to prevent any posters that don't conform to your idea of valid or invalid posts here. Trying to "harmonize" threads are we? You would make an excellent mainland censor you know?

My dear little Hotcomer, I pity your pathetic attempts.

Which "truths"?

justjoe86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    WC, to answer your question. No, I don't think that by saying vigilantism is wrong, people are expressing sympathy. And just by saying it is wrong, nobody is saying they don't understand the impulse behind it.

Fact of the matter: If I witnessed my wife or daughter being raped, I would almost certainly beat the shit out of the rapist.

I would also, on reflection, readily admit that what I did was wrong, and I certainly wouldn't be expressing any sympathy to the guy who did it. I would just, on reflection, wish that I had not performed this act of vigilantism. Why? Because if everyone followed those same impulses, the whole world would be a disaster zone. And also because by performing this act of violence I would possibly end up in prison, which would hardly be helpful.

So, clearly, you can think something is wrong without showing sympathy and without implying that you are always right.

Sorry for the bold but you do have a habit of reading the wrong words, or non existent words.
    Yes, as I already said, I got that. You are saying expressing concern does not equate sympathy. Fine with your position.

But poor little HC here doesn't seem to get it even when I told him the above already.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Which "truths"?
    You mean uncomfortable questions?

I'm a little confused now, did the British guy get an extra shoeing for being British or are the thugs equal opportunites? Any other nationalities that might come in for this treatment?

Honestly, my earlier observations about the kick were purely from a lawbreaking point of view and had nothing to do with the nationalities of those in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    You mean uncomfortable questions?
    No I don't, you said "truths". You edited your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ern:
    I'm a little confused now, did the British guy get an extra shoeing for being British or are the thugs equal opportunites? Any other nationalities that might come in for this treatment?

Honestly, my earlier observations about the kick were purely from a lawbreaking point of view and had nothing to do with the nationalities of those in the video.
    What do you think? I'm not going to put words into your mouth (unlike someone here).

Tell me what you think, your honest opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    No I don't, you said "truths".
    typo, it's "question".

Thank you for clarifying that.

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast