Australian Election

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

hmmh too true

I can agree with you on that from my own experience. i simply dont get the time to learn any beyond what bare minimum i need to survive. and to find a teacher patient enough.

On Rudd's private conversation with the premier, no you wouldn't see it simply due to the fact that of all the news coverage of the event, Kevin Rudd wasn't/isn't yet a head of state. I will however try and find some if its forthcoming on the web and post here.

Kevin Rudd's Mandarin

Not sure on what basis Kevin Rudd's Mandarin is being questioned. He has had professional Foreign Affairs language training, a posting in Beijing, has a degree in Mandarin and is spoken of very highly by Pierre Ryckmans, his University supervisor and, I have no need to add, a very distinguished Chinese scholar.
    What is there to find fault with about Kevin Rudd's accent?Please enlighten me with the specific reasons to back up a view that KR's Mandarin is not excellent.

Has anyone seen the poster in TST:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/federal-e...d=rss_national

I hope Rudd's mandarin has improved since this:

"After I left Beijing, Ross Garnaut became Australian ambassador to China and insisted for a time on using bright young Rudd as his translator. This practice came to an end, however. On one occasion Garnaut was having a conference with some official Chinese of extreme eminence and remarked that Australia and China were enjoying good relations at that time.

Rudd, who speaks a kind of upper-class Mandarin, tried to render this with a certain flourish, which produced grins from the Chinese translators and a befuddled frown from the potentate involved. Rudd had said in Mandarin that Australia and China were enjoying simultaneous orgasms
    ."

as reported by Greg Sheridan in the Australian

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...23-601,00.html

On the road, can you name another ( living ) western political leader that speaks Mandarin, better than Kevin Rudd?

Smile John Howard is a flogged horse, it's time for a new sheriff

I was looking for some upto date, Australian political photo's on flickr, and stumbled upon these anti John Howard T-shirts. lol.....

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    On the road, can you name another ( living ) western political leader that speaks Mandarin, better than Kevin Rudd?
    I actually like Kevin Rudd. I have a lot of respect for him. Even after seeing him eat his earwax on You Tube!
    I think he can be Australia's Tony Blair.

Thumbs up 24hrs with the Ruddster

Ha Ha, ACA have stopped direct linking of their video content, the video I was refering to if you search for it on the ACA site is, " A day with Kevin Rudd".

Last edited by Skyhook; 22-11-2007 at 12:44 PM.