Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By nawor

Chinese BADminton Antics

Closed Thread

Chinese BADminton Antics

The NY Times has an alternative perspective on China's (and the other 2 teams') BADminton display. I don't necessarily agree with the writer, but he makes an interesting point. What do the rest of you think?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/03/sports/olympics/olympic-badminton-teams-had-right-idea-by-losing.html?smid=fb-share

I kind of agree. Sport is played by logic and the logic here said to lose the game in order to try to win the tournement.
    Interestingly there is any easy solution for such a scenerio. Just give the winner of the game the choice to record the match as either a win or a loss.

jonathan.lo and dengxi like this.

Wow, nawor, that is a pretty good idea!

Not!!!! People need a diff perspective.

The velodrome cyclist from the UK team admitted straight up that he crashed on purpose to get a restart when they won the gold. The team claimed that what he said was just a translation mishap (he is German) but it was very clear that what he said was what he meant, there was no lost in translation. Then he back peddled later after getting a talking to. I see no difference between that and what the badminton players did.

Last edited by methosb; 04-08-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Don't hate the players, hate the game!