Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Mat

Fareed Zakaria suspended from CNN/Time

Closed Thread

Fareed Zakaria suspended from CNN/Time

Done for plagiarism it seems...

...In Zakaria's column, titled "The Case for Gun Control," he began one paragraph with the sentences: "Adam Winkler, a professor of constitutional law at UCLA, documents the actual history in 'Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America.' Guns were regulated in the U.S. from the earliest years of the Republic."

A corresponding passage in Lepore's New Yorker essay, titled "Battleground America," begins: "As Adam Winkler, a constitutional-law scholar at U.C.L.A., demonstrates in a remarkably nuanced new book, 'Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America,' firearms have been regulated in the United States from the start."...
    I don't get it. He didn't exactly steal an idea though, did he? He stated a fact that another writer happened to have also stated in a column on the same topic.

I don't get it. He didn't exactly steal an idea though, did he? He stated a fact that another writer happened to have also stated in a column on the same topic.
    No he didn't, or where do you see Zakaria mentioning Ms. Lepore's name (the other columnist)?

"What he did violates our own standards for our columnists, which is that their work must not only be factual but original; their views must not only be their own but their words as well," Zelenko said.

Shortly afterward, CNN said it had removed from the network's website a blog post that "included similar unattributed excerpts," and taken Zakaria off the air indefinitely.
    Thus it is clear that this was not just about the one sentence at the beginning of the paragraph that was cited as an example (which looks like he is referencing to Adam Winkler's book), in fact if you had done a bit of homework you would find the following comparison:
    CNN and Time Suspend Journalist After Admission of Plagiarism - NYTimes.com

The entire paragraph is clearly a ripoff from Ms. Lepore's article (i.e. Zakaria was not referencing to and citing from Adam Winkler's book), with some 'rephrasing' thrown in to make it less obvious.

Guilty as charged.
    Last edited by Raccon; 13-08-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Zakaria is a total dumb ass know it all. He comes from some impoverished screwed up country and then thinks he has the cure all to fix everything that's wrong with the United States. He is a Dong, and I hope they ship him back to India after he is fired (yes he was born in India and does not speak Arabic despite his name)

Quote Originally Posted by packy_crusher:
    Zakaria is a total dumb ass know it all. He comes from some impoverished screwed up country and then thinks he has the cure all to fix everything that's wrong with the United States. He is a Dong, and I hope they ship him back to India after he is fired (yes he was born in India and does not speak Arabic despite his name)
    How is the place is was born and his nationality related to this news?
    East_coast, elle and Dreadnought like this.

packy_crusher you are an idiot.
    And for your ignorant information, Indian muslims do not speak arabic, they speak urdu/hindi.