Like Tree26Likes

Australia's plain packaging of cigarettes upheld by court

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

I am not saying Min07 that it should not be completely removed from the face of the earth, BUT, I don't believe it'll happen atleast in my life time.
    If it does I'll find you and say thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    You are being totally obtuse gilleshk, smoking is here to stay, whether you bring laws or whatever, people will continue to smoke and governments will look the other way, as the amount of revenue it brings is enormous.
    Great news that people of your generation had different outlook towards smoking, so its not so much in-your-face anymore, BUT kids still smoke and will continue to smoke.
    Who said it will go away? There will probably always be people who smoke or drink or do drugs. It doesn't mean we have to celebrate and encourage it. I even specifically said I don't think banning it completely would be a good idea. What is done currently which is pushing it to the fringe and taxing the hell out of it in as many ways as possible is fantastic and I have no complaints. You seem to be the one that's frustrated, trying to split hairs and implying things that were not said... Nicotine withdrawals perhaps or is it smoker's erectile dysfunction

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Who said it will go away? There will probably always be people who smoke or drink or do drugs. It doesn't mean we have to celebrate and encourage it. I even specifically said I don't think banning it completely would be a good idea. What is done currently which is pushing it to the fringe and taxing the hell out of it in as many ways as possible is fantastic and I have no complaints. You seem to be the one that's frustrated, trying to split hairs and implying things that were not said... Nicotine withdrawals perhaps or is it smoker's erectile dysfunction
    I was thinking of responding to your post gilles, but your lame attempt at humour put me off...

Angry

Ohhh I'm so disappointed now, you've ruined my day

btw, did I mention that the epidemic the WHO is warning about has already started ?
    Tons of women in East Asia have taken up smoking.
    I will conduct some research on how HK women's smoking habit and their brand preferences
    influence women's lifestyle choices in Shenzhen and Guangzhou.

Well the prevalence was extremely low in many countries so an increase isn't surprising. Cited reasons are: low cost of tobacco compared to rising wages(hence the tax the hell out of it importance) and the cool factor(ban advertising, work on packaging and ban it in public places)

It'll take time but goverments will eventually enact legislations just like many countries have already done because the model is reasonably successful and it makes sense economically.

Are local gummints shooting themselves in the foot?

Chinese ordered to smoke more to boost economy - Telegraph

As if the air and water in dirtland isn't polluted enough, the gummint's been encouraging public workers to keep smoking to keep up tax revenues. I hope, in 20 years, the gummint still has squillions of dollars to throw at healthcare when these folks (and their families) get wheeled into the hospitals with cancer and what not.

Last edited by Dreadnought; 31-08-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Old story and local officials were reprimanded however it doesn't take a genius to know that China is a bit like the 50's and 60's when it comes to smoking. Guess that's why the label developing country is used in many of those cases. There's still lots of work to do in many different areas...

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    you forgot to ban yourself.......

that would be an even better world than some cynical negativity
    Are you being positively sarcastic or cynical ?

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Well the prevalence was extremely low in many countries so an increase isn't surprising. ............
    I think you have no idea how bad it is.
    In some societies it is a tenfold or more.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8