Like Tree10Likes

Euthanasia in 2012

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Euthanasia in 2012

What right does the court(church?) have to deny this man his wish to die?
    'Condemned to a life of torture': UK denies right-to-die legal challenge

Solution, hold a referendum and ask the public if euthanasia should be legal or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    What right does the court(church?) have to deny this man his wish to die?
    'Condemned to a life of torture': UK denies right-to-die legal challenge

Solution, hold a referendum and ask the public if euthanasia should be legal or not.
    You are joking right? Hold a referendum and let the people have what they actually want?

Sad situation. I'm all for it. We should be allowed to choose to end it if we want to. It's the most basic human right.

But, but, but: my deity said it is wrong so I must oppose and deny it for everyone..

Satay Sue and MASTER-OF-HK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    But, but, but: my deity said it is wrong so I must oppose and deny it for everyone..
    Yes this is certainly bigger than any man-made religion. This is a basic right that shouldn't be decided by people's fantasies and religious fairytales.

I must have missed the bit about religion but don't let that stop you Didn't the court feel it was a matter for parliament?

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    I must have missed the bit about religion but don't let that stop you Didn't the court feel it was a matter for parliament?
    I was not commenting on the court specifically but rather on the opposition in general.

Non religious countries tend to pass laws that are more logical while countries that are more religious or have strong religion based histories tend to pass laws that are more inline with their religious texts.
    Rob2020 likes this.

Separation of Church and State is an important concept, but even in countries such as France where they preach a secular society, euthanasia is still illegal.
    If necessary, you can break the argument down into categories such as
    - active/passive euthansia (active is the administration of a drug etc., passive is turning off life support)
    - consensual/not (does/has the PERSON given their consent/is the person in a fit state of mind to decide vs people in coma where family must decide)

There are many boxes that can be ticked, but I argue, why is all this necessary?
    Surely the right to die is just as important as the right to live

I was not commenting on the court specifically but rather on the opposition in general.

Non religious countries tend to pass laws that are more logical while countries that are more religious or have strong religion based histories tend to pass laws that are more inline with their religious texts.
    Non religious countries like China? Which non religious countries, if you are taking the UK as an example of a religious country?

I am in favour of voluntary euthanasia by the way. This is a decision for parliament as it always is in the UK (except EU entry). I am not in favour of decision by referendum because it can easily become decision by Rupert Murdoch.
    bryant.english likes this.

The right to decide when to end your life is a basic human right, not something to be decided by governments or a majority vote, especially when most people are incapable of imagining themselves in the position of someone else.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast