Dutch Diplomat Raymond Poeteray abandons adopted baby...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Dutch Diplomat Raymond Poeteray abandons adopted baby...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1811

Been in the news a fair bit and being discussed on Geobaby too ( http://www.geobaby.com/forum/parents...p-t122734.html

A Dutch couple has sparked outrage by giving up a seven-year-old South Korean girl they adopted as a baby – after claiming she didn't "fit in" with their life-style.

The diplomat and his wife, who had taken in the child after failing to conceive, handed her to social workers in Hong Kong after having two biological children.

They claimed the girl, who was adopted when four months old and has lived in the territory since she was three, was struggling to adapt to their culture, including food
    The diplomat told reporters, who agreed to his anonymity, that his family was struggling to cope with their decision and said his wife was having therapy.

"It's just a very terrible trauma that everyone's experiencing," he said.

"My foreign ministry knows about my situation.

"I have also been in touch with the Hong Kong Government and they have been very helpful to me and so has my own employer."
    "It's bizarre. I don't think it has anything to do with cultural shock," said Law Chi-kwong, an associate professor at the University of Hong Kong's Social Work department.

"The child grew up with them. They adopted her when she was a baby; they are responsible for shaping the child's mind and culture.

"How can you say the child cannot adapt to the culture in which she was raised? This is just ridiculous."

Disgraceful. These people should be flogged. One thing that amazes me in all this is that people are ALLOWED to return children they have adopted.

That is appalling!

Strangely coincidental that this report comes at a time when we usually get the "A dog's not just for Christmas..." campaign.

I will give the benefit of the doubt to the mother, she obviously has some emotional/mental problems. But the father should be a man and accept the situation he is in and keep the child.

Why is she not a Dutch citizen?

Quote Originally Posted by chimo:
    Why is she not a Dutch citizen?
    Why should she be? Many children have different nationalities from their parents.

>> But the father should be a man and accept the situation he is in
    >> and keep the child.

Well thats the thing I don't understand. At the least they could have used their access to resources as diplomats / civil servants to find a suitable family to take care of the kid.

Has anyone heard if the girl has found a new home yet?

It's better than the girl growing up in an unwanted family.. imagine the damage this has already caused the poor girl. breaks my heart.

>> Has anyone heard if the girl has found a new home yet?

Not as of yesterday according the news.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bliss:
    It's better than the girl growing up in an unwanted family.. imagine the damage this has already caused the poor girl. breaks my heart.
    But it's better not to have adopted her at all. So now, it's convenient to give up the adopted child since his wife can now have biological kids? And notice that the kid can't speak Dutch? Did they purposefully speak English to the kid only to exclude her from the family? Evil!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast