Like Tree34Likes

Anger over Australian supermarket 'no Indians' job ad

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Anger over Australian supermarket 'no Indians' job ad

Wow, I heard stories about Australia , but this is pretty blatant...
    BBC News - Anger over Australian supermarket 'no Indians' job ad

An Australian supermarket's cleaning firm has sparked outrage by posting an advert for staff that stipulated: "No Indians or Asians please."
    dear giant and JaredHK like this.

It was in Tasmania. 'nuff said.

Fatelvis, nawor and bryant.english like this.

It was in Australia, 'nuff said. There are great things about that country, but I've found Oz to be the most covertly racist country I've ever lived in.

HK is the most overtly racist, but I tend to find that amusing and refreshing, instead of irritating.

JaredHK likes this.

I was surprised by how openly racist a lot of people in Queensland were. It seemed strange in a naturally prosperous country which would appear to have enough for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I was surprised by how openly racist a lot of people in Queensland were. It seemed strange in a naturally prosperous country which would appear to have enough for everybody.
    Me too. Queensland is the only place we have ever been openly insulted to our faces for being British. Also, we took a trip to Fraser Island on a jeep safari, sharing with a retired policeman from Sydney and his family. He made foul racist remarks several times, it was appalling.

Everyone is racist. It's just that some people are more open and honest about their racism whereas others try to hide it more.

Skyhook and Ern like this.

The people I met in Queensland had problems with Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese and Pakistanis, and they weren't shy of saying so. It felt like being in Britain in the 1960s.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    It's what happens when you transplant a fairly smug but insecure monoculture to an island in the middle of nowhere, and only have it opened it up to other cultures for a handful of recent generations.

The closest comparison I can think of would be Canada, but they went pretty much completely the other direction (i.e. no policy of assimilation and a great deal more tolerance).
    Last edited by jgl; 29-08-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Too add to some balance with an experience here...one of the partners at our firm (a big international one) might be surprised to find out his office nickname amongst many of the Hong Kong staff is Dirty Face (he is black). People call him this fairly openly (not to his face, although sometimes when he's in the room) in Cantonese with what seems to be zero shame.

I've come across several examples of similar things.

Last edited by Alan Partridge; 29-08-2012 at 02:35 PM.
    dear giant and bookblogger like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast