Like Tree94Likes

is it fair to snip?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

I don't see the medical benefits to snipping a newborn. Babies are not at risk of STDs from having unprotected sex. Possibly a risk of infection due to lack of cleanliness but not really serious in the vast majority of cases. Risks of snipping a newborn: snip too much (penis gets messed up), snip too little (have to snip again), possible malformation of the penis during growth, possibly pissed of adult.

Snipping newborns is garbage, there is no legit reason for it.

I have no problem with getting it done for medical problems (as with myself) or letting adults get it done providing they are given correct information (because most of it, from both camps, is bullshit).

Honestly, as long as the procedure is done in a proper hospital (with proper anestetics), I don't care what parents choose. I have a lot of friends who were 'snipped' and a lot of friends who were not. I've never heard a complaint either way. Maybe .0000000001 % of men who were circumsized, wish they weren't. Most men I know (including me) think it is easier maintenance so to speak. One less thing to worry about. Also, most women I know prefer the look.

There are a lot bigger problems in the world to worry about than 'snipping'. Let the parents decide.

Football16 and kpelszyn like this.

Fascinating thread. I had no views on this whatsoever until reading it . ... then followed the links and did some more searching on my own out of interest. I think I'm now firmly in the camp of "no mutilation of newborns - let them decide". I cannot believe 2000 people are buying a "tugger" (just one such device) and wearing what looks to be a weird contraption for 12 hours a day to restore their foreskins if there is no benefit to it ........

audiot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    I have a lot of friends who were 'snipped' and a lot of friends who were not. I've never heard a complaint either way. Maybe .0000000001 % of men who were circumsized, wish they weren't. Most men I know (including me) think it is easier maintenance so to speak. One less thing to worry about. Also, most women I know prefer the look.

There are a lot bigger problems in the world to worry about than 'snipping'. Let the parents decide.

its interesting that you take issue with children's comfort on another thread
    ( http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/3...ml#post2136481 )

yet have no issues causing outright pain on a developing body, and with no respect to that human's actual wishes - which at that point remain undefined and unknown.. it is amazing what we as humans are able to project onto a situation..

it's true there are bigger problems perhaps in the world, however it seems to me a lot of those sprout from religion............. is it a co-incidence that the 2 most "volatile" religions affecting world peace - ie muslim vs jews are both heavy suscribers to circumcision?

would restricting circumcision until later in life be a better test of someone's faith? would it actually lessen religion's hold on them?

the medical "argument" doesnt hold up until then either....
    bryant.english likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    its interesting that you take issue with children's comfort on another thread
    ( http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/3...ml#post2136481 )

yet have no issues causing outright pain on a developing body, and with no respect to that human's actual wishes - which at that point remain undefined and unknown.. it is amazing what we as humans are able to project onto a situation..

it's true there are bigger problems perhaps in the world, however it seems to me a lot of those sprout from religion............. is it a co-incidence that the 2 most "volatile" religions affecting world peace - ie muslim vs jews are both heavy suscribers to circumcision?

would restricting circumcision until later in life be a better test of someone's faith? would it actually lessen religion's hold on them?

the medical "argument" doesnt hold up until then either....

I don't force my views onto parents unless their is proven harm to the child involved. If the American Academy of Pediatrics claims that the benefits outweigh the risks in regards to circumcision, than that's good enough for me to leave it alone, let parents decide and move on to the next issue. I would rather take the advice of an academy of doctors than listen to you....no offense.

did I understand you correctly?

You are basically saying that we dont have the right to force our views onto individual parents?
    could you explain why that is please?

proven harm? surely there is no doubt that a physical injury has been inflicted? how long will it take to heal? the anesthetic must wear off right? I have to imagine there would be some pain or discomfort urinating for a while? a week?

of course these procedures never go wrong? 113 boys a year in the US die because of this?

Last edited by audiot; 15-09-2012 at 11:36 AM.

The AAP claims the benefits outweigh the risks! Think about that for a minute.

Almost everyone that has been circumsized is glad they were. I would guess that 99% of people who were circumcized are happy about it. If the people who were circumcised don't mind, why should you. There are hundreds of millions of people who are circumcised.....doctors, presidents, CEO's. We have a huge sample group covering all socio-economic backgrounds. And out of the millions people almost all of them are fine with it..a vast majority are glad it was done.

I'm not advocating circumcision, but as long as the procedure is done professionally, and no one that has had it done seems to care...than why should I take up this cause? Again, there are a lot bigger issues out there to worry about......like kids in wet suits poor things must chaffe..

its interesting that the AAP was neutral for years (decades! ) , and then suddenly as the debate hits the courts in Europe, and rumblings occur in the US they switch position.

you dont think they are being "political" do you?

and why dont you read it more closely - it helps prevent AIDS- it doesnt eliminate the chance - so if you are circumcised then you still need to take the precautions.. so it benefits how?

I really think that this is an individual choice, could you come back with a percentage of those hundreds of millions who opted for their operation by their own choice?

or is it that maybe they dont know anything else?

anecdotal evidence that all is well with "the snipped" means that the 1% you claim are unhappy should have their rights trodden on?

Parents routinely make irreversible choices for their children, for their children's benefit, to the best of their abilities. That's the way parenting works. So long as they're not mutilating them to make them better beggars, to use an unfortunately true example, we probably have to let them get on with it.

(That "authentic" jewish ritual I did not have to know about, though!)

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    its interesting that the AAP was neutral for years (decades! ) , and then suddenly as the debate hits the courts in Europe, and rumblings occur in the US they switch position.

you dont think they are being "political" do you?

and why dont you read it more closely - it helps prevent AIDS- it doesnt eliminate the chance - so if you are circumcised then you still need to take the precautions.. so it benefits how?

I really think that this is an individual choice, could you come back with a percentage of those hundreds of millions who opted for their operation by their own choice?

or is it that maybe they dont know anything else?

anecdotal evidence that all is well with "the snipped" means that the 1% you claim are unhappy should have their rights trodden on?

Just to be clear. I'm not using the AAP's opinion to promote circumcision, I'm using their findings to negate the erroneous claims that a circumcision is harmful to a child.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast