Like Tree94Likes

is it fair to snip?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Maybe .0000000001 % of men who were circumsized, wish they weren't.
    Interesting read - http://www.cirp.org/library/sex_function/fink1/

There will be arguments for / against - Although not many hits for improving sensitivity.
    Last edited by East_coast; 15-09-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Just to be clear. I'm not using the AAP's opinion to promote circumcision, I'm using their findings to negate the erroneous claims that a circumcision is harmful to a child.
    It is not erroneous to say there is a risk of harm to a child because there are plenty of cases of it. The question you should ask is why it is so important to do it to a newborn instead of waiting until they are grown up and asking their opinion. If the kid is now 16, has had no problems with being uncircumcised and has no interest in getting it done then could you justify forcing it on him? I doubt it so why do it to a newborn?

The pro-circ camp's biggest argument is about the spread of HIV which is not applicable to children and is barely applicable outside of Africa. To claim that the medical research is in and it says that everyone in the world should get it done to lower the chances of the spread of HIV is ludicrous. Even if HIV were highly prevalent in all countries, circumcision merely decreases the risk, condoms are the real effective method of stopping the spread of it.

If the American Academy of Pediatrics claims that the benefits outweigh the risks in regards to circumcision, than that's good enough for me to leave it alone
    You forgot to add these parts:

"preventive health benefits of elective circumcision of male newborns outweigh the risks of the procedure" and that the health benefits "are sufficient to justify access to this procedure for families choosing it and to warrant third-party payment for circumcision of male newborns," but "are not great enough to recommend routine circumcision for all male newborns".

Hardly a recommendation is it?
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Parents have a right to raise children as they see fit and for people to judge on something so personal is almost as idiotic as those who claim better sexual performance one way or another. Easy to find studies supporting either way and the margin of error when it comes to sexual studies is so large that it means very little. In any case, the outcome of the sexual experience is mostly determined by what's between the ears and not the legs of the participants.

Never known anyone to be traumatized by the procedure and most men wouldn't want to wait to have this done as an adult. Parents decide things that will have far greater impact than that little piece of skin so to try to make it into a big deal is pretty ridiculous but the again, that's par for the course on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Parents have a right to raise children as they see fit...
    Never known anyone to be traumatized by the procedure and most men wouldn't want to wait to have this done as an adult.
    Parents decide things that will have far greater impact than that little piece of skin so to try to make it into a big deal is pretty ridiculous but the again, that's par for the course on this forum.
    I agree parents have certain rights - but you should not be able to permanently scar them in anyway-

in New Zealand for instance it is now illegal to even spank your child, so those historical "rights" are being curtailed. You can try and teach or indoctrinate them - brainwash away - but you should not be able to physically alter them! or injure them.

Incidentally I'm not surprised few men would willing do this when they are older - it seems to bring in a cringe factor.. and the "benefits" seem to be abstract at best..

surely its time for us to move forward away from these prehistoric rituals...
    bryant.english and MovingIn07 like this.

Never known anyone to be traumatized by the procedure and most men wouldn't want to wait to have this done as an adult. Parents decide things that will have far greater impact than that little piece of skin so to try to make it into a big deal is pretty ridiculous but the again, that's par for the course on this forum.
    How about earlobes?

Easy to find studies supporting either way
    It doesn't seem that easy for recent studies

when it comes to sexual studies
    Probably too emotive all round

Never known anyone to be traumatized by the procedure
    Study posted above suggest something different

It would appear to be a cultural and or religious issue.

Perhaps many years ago it may have been worthwhile to reduce the risk of infection and that may still be the case in some less developed countries especially where HIV is prevalent but in modern societies with access to modern medicine it just seems like a cultural legacy issue. Similar to still wearing traditional dress in your new country even when people back home now dress in jeans or still using old measurement systems or notes instead of coins etc.

As there seems little point for it still to occur in modern societies the activity will probably disappear in a couple of generations.
    Last edited by East_coast; 15-09-2012 at 10:06 PM.
    bryant.english likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    I agree parents have certain rights - but you should not be able to permanently scar them in anyway-

in New Zealand for instance it is now illegal to even spank your child, so those historical "rights" are being curtailed. You can try and teach or indoctrinate them - brainwash away - but you should not be able to physically alter them! or injure them.

Incidentally I'm not surprised few men would willing do this when they are older - it seems to bring in a cringe factor.. and the "benefits" seem to be abstract at best..

Parent make decisions that will "scar" their children far more than a useless little piece of skin on a penis. Maybe they shouldn't be allowed to send kids to public schools either...

They shouldn't be allowed to enroll kids into gymnastics or other sports since it might scar them for life.

They shouldn't be allowed to religiously indoctrinate their kids...

They shouldn't be allowed to have their kids ears(or other parts) pierced...

People should really mind their own business when it comes to a silly little thing that hardly has any bearing on someone's life. No big deal if it stays or goes away...

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    You forgot to add these parts:

"preventive health benefits of elective circumcision of male newborns outweigh the risks of the procedure" and that the health benefits "are sufficient to justify access to this procedure for families choosing it and to warrant third-party payment for circumcision of male newborns," but "are not great enough to recommend routine circumcision for all male newborns".

Hardly a recommendation is it?
    Did I ever say I recommended it? No. I said I would "leave it alone" and let the parents choose. Why should I tell a mother and father they can't do a procedure that the AAP says the benefits outweigh the risks. Its none of my business.

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:

An overwhelming majority of people who have had circumcisions (myself included) are happy about it. You would have to search pretty long and hard to find someone who had one and is upset about it. Almost everyone is happy with the look and the ease of maintenance.

People act like this procedure is done to poor people who don't know any better and can't fend for themselves. It's not. Its done in highly educated societies and the people who have had it done like it. Done in a proper clinic with a qualified doctor the procedure is incredibly safe.

And Yes, I am glad that my parents did it when I was a baby and not when I was older...for obvious reasons.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast