Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By East_coast

Shipping pollution causing deaths

Closed Thread

Shipping pollution causing deaths

A report from Civic Exchange: A Price Worth Paying: The Case for Controlling Marine Emissions in the Pearl River Delta

This report shows that, among the four control measures as listed below, excessive deaths due to marine emissions could be reduced by 91% should an Emission Control Area (ECA) mandating the use of fuels capped at 0.1% sulphur content be introduced. The report also demonstrates that three other control measures would reduce OGV emissions and the associated excess deaths by 41-62%.

Currently there are 519 excess deaths caused by shipping pollution in the PRD, of which 74% (385) were in Hong Kong. By implementing measure, this number could be reduced to 46.

I wonder if Christine Loh will do anything?

Hong Kong ship regulation on sulphur dioxide emissions set to align with national level | South China Morning Post

HK to align with regional controls. It would be nice if HK was leading rather than following. But a good step all the same
    drumbrake likes this.

Unless I'm mistaken,
    I think @HK_Katherine work in logistics or a related field. Would love to hear some insider opinion on this.