Like Tree60Likes

Protests against the offensive film + Blasphemy law ( A Pakistani Muslim perspective)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I dont want to discuss Islam here, so I will only respond to what I think is relevant
    In that case it's clear you are beyond reason.

Not talking about the video. I was taking in general. Only sadists will force there own opinion on others.
    Like beheading those who insult the prophet?

Ok so now moving on too TWO other recent developments in Pakistan:

1) Bounty on head of film makers head: The person who offered this bounty he is the head of Pakistan Railways and is accused of millions of Dollars of corruption. And too correctly gauge this, consider the fact that 1 USD=96 PKR. So you can imagine how much corruption this guy has done.

In order to save his own skin, and deflect attention he has come up with this stupidity. Now everytime people will question his corruption, he will point this bounty and claim that the Zionists and American Lobby are out to get him.

But it doesnt matter though, he will get whats coming to him.

2) Demand by Pak PM for law to ban religious critique: This was just a political move. It should only be seen in Local context. Even everyone in Pakistan knows that no such law can ever come into force. However, due to there extensive support for America despite America attacking Pakistan routinely they have to resort to such absurdities to stay 'relevant'.

This too is election year in Pakistan.

MovingIn07 likes this.

Bryant,

I was discussing Pakistan and the protests in Pakistan. Not Islam. Anything relevant to Pakistan I am happy to discuss with you.

Hence:

After mindless destruction a few days earlier, students now gathered to Clean up and repair

http://tribune.com.pk/story/441517/p...nts-of-change/

Last edited by ecy5maa; 24-09-2012 at 07:53 PM.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    Racism is considered a lot broader than just applying this to a race or ethnic group if you do some reading on the topic.

It is a specious argument to say that as Muslims are not a race there is no racism. It's a pretty big tent now that houses what officials call racism.

The UN and other countries including Canada and its provinces see race as a social construct related to geography, history and a wide range of sociocultural, political and economic factors that have no justification for claims of superiority.

Psychology Today has a nice article for a starter:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ism-be-defined

The UN and other agencies including Bryant's Ontario Human Rights Commission says that there are no real genetic races as such (or words to that affect) and again see racism as a social construct. Their "Policy and guidelines on racism and racial discrimination" has this to say:

http://www.ohrc.on.ca/sites/default/...rimination.pdf
    Eventually you could change the goalposts enough and say that any members of Geoexpat whose name starts with B are racists. I dislike Islam, the religion. Further, I think all people who worship imaginary beings are at best, to be treated with caution, at worst feared and held in contempt. I don't reserve these feelings only for Islam but, while there are occasional acts of violence in the name of Christ it's pretty clear which religion is fuelling most of the mindless violence in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    It's not racism, 'Muslim' is not a race! This part of your argument is absurd. I believe that Muslims call anti-Islamic sentiment racism in an attempt to avoid criticism. What about that? That, is what I most firmly believe.

If putting a video on Youtube insulting the bloody prophet is insulting to you, you might be able to have a little think about why building a mosque near the 9/11 site might get some people's backs up!

No, it's a criticism of Islam, Islam's followers are Muslims and 'Muslim' is not a race.

I don't need or want to be educated about your odd fantasies. I don't want to hear about Islam, or Christianity, or the bogey monster.

You stick to what you like, it's not your thread.

None of what you replied to was for you. It was for Tiger Sun and in response to his comments. So i will wait for him to respond and then comment.

Quote Originally Posted by ecy5maa:
    None of what you replied to was for you. It was for Tiger Sun and in response to his comments. So i will wait for him to respond and then comment.
    PM him then. This is a public forum and I am free to respond, as are you!

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    PM him then. This is a public forum and I am free to respond, as are you!
    Respond all you like. I am only mentioning that I will not respond to those particular comments.

[QUOTE=ecy5maa;2147826]

Thats precisely the point. Since Islam isnt a religion, people can get away with bigotry directed at Muslims, which is quite obviously racism.

Ill give an example, during the NYC mosque protests many people were concerned that building a mosque was a sign of Shariah law entering America, and if im not wrong Ann Coulter went ahead and said that the NYC mosque was a symbol of Muslim victory on a "conquered" America. Similarly headscarves have been banned in some areas of Europe, minarets are not allowed in Mosques and so on. Its nothing but Xenophobia and racism against Muslims, which is put forth as a critique of Islam.

However like I mentioned much of this Xenophobia is also the fault of the Muslims themselves who have failed to integrate and educate the non muslims about there faith and culture.

I dont want to go more into this for now, as the discussion will go into a tangent. Lets leave this debate for another time. I will stick to what is going on in Pakistan in this thread.

I agree. I dont think such concern is racism. Racism is a different kind. Also, the protests at least in Pakistan are more to do with political power play of the fringe right, then the movie as i am 100% sure 99.99% havent even seen the video.

Agreed, and I didnt intend to conflate critique of religious radicalism and racism. My only point was that much of criticism of Islam, is veiled racism. Ofcourse some racists will now take these violent protests and brush all muslims as virulent disease affecting the free world..

But regardless the concern remains valid, whether or not a racist is the one who is pointing it out.
    quoting Ann Coulter and holding her views as those of the average american is like taking the 9-11 hijackers and saying that their views are the same as the average muslim.

there are extremists everywhere and of every persuasion.

the fact that they can't see the hypocrisy of their own views is actually quite humourous at times.
    bryant.english and Football16 like this.

[QUOTE=carang;2147889]

Quote Originally Posted by ecy5maa:

quoting Ann Coulter and holding her views as those of the average american is like taking the 9-11 hijackers and saying that their views are the same as the average muslim.

I never implied her views are the same as the average american. I did though mean that most of the criticism against Islam..are views similar to what Ann Coulter holds.

But regardless, just because a bigot is 'also' concerned about something bad, doesnot imply that the concern should not be there.

the fact that they can't see the hypocrisy of their own views is actually quite humourous at times.

What is hypocritical about my views?
    Last edited by ecy5maa; 24-09-2012 at 08:06 PM.

i was referring to the Ann Coulters/extremists of the world... not to you. (hence "they" and "their")

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast