Strait of Hormuz Incident

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strait of Hormuz Incident

May be old news, but I think it would be of interest to hear opinions on this event. It could have been very serious, even starting a new war front. Here is the latest news:

THE US navy says there is "no way to know" if a threat radioed to US warships in the Strait of Hormuz came from Iranian speedboats, casting doubt on the earlier US version of Sunday's confrontation.

The Pentagon released a video and audiotape this week which it said confirmed US charges that Iranian speedboats swarmed around the US ships on Sunday and also radioed a threat to blow them up.

But overnight Iran released its own video to counter the charges, showing the crew of a speedboat contacting an American sailor via radio, asking him to identify the US vessels and state their purpose.

Now my question is: who is telling the truth?

Why are USN ships in Iranian waters anyway ? If you don't want a conflict, then leave the region, or are they really there for purposes, that are not in the best interests of Iran ?

I don't see any Iranian naval vessels in US waters, do you ? And if we did, you can't tell me that there wouldn't be a huge hoo hah from the USA about it.

But it seems, that the USA can just plonk itself in any body of water external of its borders, and just say, deal with it....

I feel sorry for Iran being constantly chastised by the American Govt, until push comes to shove and all hell breaks loose.

I think any comment on this would be next to useless due to

a) 99.99999% of people on here have Zero Military / Naval experience so as to make any subjective or non knee jerk / partisan comment impossible

b) A large % have little or no knowledge of the area in question and its navigational difficulties split with historical claims and counter claims

So whats the point? Have a USA verses Raghead shouting match ?

I have been there on top of and under that piece of water and am qualified on both counts.

I have worked with and have great affection for the Persian race, having trained some of their navy in the 1970's. FYI - we also had Iraq Navy and they where pigs. Always trying to fight the Iranians - go figure !

The other day was politics plain and simple. The US where controlled, IN THE EXTREME. Which just shows the professionalism and mental courage of the task force commander. Unlike the US politicians that basically called the RN a bunch of gay boys for letting themselves be taken in a similar incident, rather than cause an irrevocable international incident.

Comment is good but lets have some qualifications required before the you know who's put in their biased and " patriotic " views.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Why are USN ships in Iranian waters anyway ? If you don't want a conflict, then leave the region, or are they really there for purposes, that are not in the best interests of Iran ?

I don't see any Iranian naval vessels in US waters, do you ? And if we did, you can't tell me that there wouldn't be a huge hoo hah from the USA about it.

But it seems, that the USA can just plonk itself in any body of water external of its borders, and just say, deal with it....

I feel sorry for Iran being constantly chastised by the American Govt, until push comes to shove and all hell breaks loose.
    And to prove a point -- what did I see as I posted !!!

1) The area is international waters. Anyone has a right to be there.
    2) IRN ships are not in US waters because non have the range to reach that area.
    3) There is a MULTI national task force under Nato there too so don't just point at the US.
    4) If IRN is so " peacefull " why have they got batteries of Silkworm ( their variant ) cruise missiles pointing out over the narrows of the Gulf.
    5) Why make continual " trouble raids " on Merchant ships of foreign flag in the gulf area.

On point 5 THAT is the point of the task forces being there in the first place.

So Skyhook what is your qualification in this matter. Did you serve before? I was there for GW 1. Trained the navies. Have ACTUALLY been to Iran and have friends ( now in exile ) from that great nation of Persia.

Seems to me you like to side with the radicals and don't let the facts get in the way of a rant.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryCo:

Now my question is: who is telling the truth?
    We are listening to politicians and military so I think we can be safe to assume none of them (military for reasons of security, politicians because that is their default setting).

>> we can be safe to assume none of them

Amen. They're both telling the truth .. their versions of the truth.

Having said that, fake or not, atleast the American media still has some freedom to point out and question some of this stuff.

So, you support foreign military action in the Middle East, do you Boris ?

I don't, and regardless of my level of qualifications, I am entitled to my opinion on this subject.

As the ADF were voluntary in the Middle East with nice $60,000AUS 6 month tax free incentives if you took up a post.

I won't support any military operation if I don't believe in the cause. Especially when more innocent civilians are killed than any other group.

Ethically it has no appeal to me, nor is it in the best interests of defending my country.

We need to wake up and start concentrating on what is better for people, not lining each others pockets with gold, just so we can control a global resource.

Leave the Middle East alone and let them culturally be.

Skyhook has a Masters in Niave and won distinctions in simple, trusting, innocent, childlike, inexperienced, ingenuous, guileless.

Congratulations.

"Leave the Middle East alone and let them culturally be. "

Such an easy and uneducated remark to make; international intervention/interference (however you may choose to look at it) in the middle east is without doubt a necessity on a global scale. Just stop and pause for a minute to think about the consequences and impact if all international forces/political sancations where withdrawn from the middle east. It is without doubt that the various peoples of the region cannot live together in peace and co-operation ( Iran refuses to acknowledge the right for Israel to exist).

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    >> we can be safe to assume none of them

Amen. They're both telling the truth .. their versions of the truth.

YouTube - Jessica Lynch spin

Having said that, fake or not, at least the American media still has some freedom to point out and question some of this stuff.
    One truth is a two hour unedited ( with timeline ) video. The other is a 20 second clip with a later amendment to include sound. MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm. Wonder who is adopting a full disclosure policy on this one event even though they are not famous for it on other occasions.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast