Like Tree5Likes

Dissatisfaction with the CCP

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dissatisfaction with the CCP

So the Tibetans are at it again. It's been several months since the first of dozens of incidences of death-by-self-barbecue in the latest episode of dissent on display by the oppressed Tibetans.

Then there are the flag wavers in Hong Kong - haven't seen them out in such great numbers before.

What next? Xinjiang?

Flag waving of this kind (in the context of one-country-two-systems) and self-barbecue are both ridiculous forms of protest (my opinion), each an opposite extreme of the other, but they are forms of expression nonetheless. You have got to ask yourself, how freaking bad does it have to get before you decide to take your own life in any fashion whatsoever to demonstrate your disgust at and rejection of the status quo. I don't know if it is regarded as extreme in Tibet, as it is tolerated in Buddhism. Looking at it objectively though, I think both forms of protest represent increasing dissatisfaction at the stagnant rate of social, political and judicial reform on the mainland.

However, instead of resolving these issues (too boring?), the CCP is busy picking fights with its neighbours. Like we've seen before with ASEAN members, now even the Japanese are running to the Americans for help.

What is going on behind closed doors in this conference? Discussions over the blue prints of a real multi-party, China-style democracy? Easing of information control and anti-subversion laws? How to introduce freedom of speech and association without upsetting social stability? Or how to extend more of the same for yet another decade?

I'm not so optimistic. It looks as though the CCP have decided to go it alone, and I don't see this ending well.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 10-11-2012 at 03:27 AM.
    Gatts likes this.

chris_yang22 likes this.

I like the way they keep it generic and just say an ' expatriate ' man, like that tells us anything about them.

Maybe they dont want an uproar like the last psycho that had a death wish, who decided to take on an armed member of Hong Kongs finest.

Hmm, at least this time, it was only a non fatal flesh wound. So that's good, nobody died....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

Last edited by Skyhook; 10-11-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    [CENTER]I'm not so optimistic. It looks as though the CCP have decided to go it alone, and I don't see this ending well.
    It's never going to end well for the CCP. They need serious reform and are not going to do it without a major push from the people. And unfortunately, most of the mainland is not interested in it, or not aware of the possibilities, or think it is impossible to achieve.

Yeah there are vocal ones, but a very small % of the population are actually vocal about it at all. Until they really do start to organize the masses, nothing is going to happen.

BTW...if any CCP members who are currently reviewing my VISA application, please ignore above post. I was hacked by some expatriate with a knife and a bleeding leg.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    However, instead of resolving these issues (too boring?), the CCP is busy picking fights with its neighbours. Like we've seen before with ASEAN members, now even the Japanese are running to the Americans for help.
    Picking fights with the neighbours to shift attention from problems occuring at home is a common ploy among many countries.
    Dodraugen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    At least cops are now aiming at legs rather than heads.
    bryant.english likes this.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/09/wo...html?hpt=hp_c2

China's Hu Jintao warns party of enemy within
    By Stan Grant, CNN
    November 9, 2012 -- Updated 1046 GMT (1846 HKT)

Beijing (CNN) -- President Hu Jintao has said what so many others have been thinking: the Chinese Communist Party is under threat.

In front of more than 2,000 delegates at the opening of the 18th Communist Party Congress in Beijing, Hu made plain there is a cancer at the heart of the system and it is called corruption.

"Combating corruption and promoting political integrity is a major political issue. If we fail to handle it, it could prove fatal to the party and even cause the collapse of the party and the fall of the state," he said.
    While many look at the top line reports and see some great results for China - and these look pretty good graphs, there are those saying the last 10 years was wasted and lost opportunity under Hu and that they could have done more.

Today’s graphic shows China’s GDP, exports, and population change over the last 10 years.

http://blog.thomsonreuters.com/index...ic-of-the-day/
    Reformers lament Hu’s ‘lost decade’
    By Bill Smith/Beijing

Many who had expected President Hu Jintao to push political and economic reforms in China were left disappointed by his 10 years in power yesterday as he made his final major speech as leader of the ruling Communist Party.

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topic...6&parent_id=26

Yet many Chinese analysts are critical of the slowness of economic and political reforms under Hu and Premier Wen Jiabao.

“The economic development was still rather fast, but that was due to the force of inertia,” said Zhang Ming, a political scientist at People’s University in Beijing.
    “The industrial transformation and modernisation were supposed to be done in the last decade, but they weren’t done,” Zhang said.

“And the reform of the political system was not even started,” he said. “It went backwards. They only made some technical amendments. The legal system also went backwards.”

Zhang said many economic problems had accumulated because of slow reform, including huge income gaps, regional differences, conflicts between officials and the public, and poor health care.
    “It’s a lost decade. It’s the Brezhnev era,” he said, referring to stalled economic reforms in the former Soviet Union under Leonid Brezhnev.

“Although Wen kept calling for political reform, China’s political system in the last 10 years hasn’t developed much towards democracy, freedom, and law and order,” said He Weifang, a liberal law professor at Beijing University.
    “I think it’s a stagnated decade,” He said. “Economically, there’s some improvement since China became the [world’s] second-largest economy, but the structural problems remain unresolved.”
    He cited the example of state-run firms continuing to enjoy monopolies in many key industries and said a “sense of insecurity” was growing among private entrepreneurs.
    Zhang Lifan, a Beijing-based political commentator, said economic polarisation had become “quite serious” under Hu and Wen.
    “The majority haven’t benefited from economic reform, only the minority did,” Zhang Lifan said.
    “I think the last decade was basically a politically conservative or even degenerative time,” said Wu Qiang, a political scientist at Beijing’s Tsinghua University.
    “And economically, it was sharing the profits of globalisation, and that is coming to an end,” Wu said. - DPA

Hu and Wen can criticise their tenures (which is common of outgoing leaders) for not doing enough etc. Others criticise them also as reprisals against them won't happen and generally puts them in good stead for the new leaders.

The next ten years won't produce much again. Leaders are too busy dodging bullets and amassing wealth and power.

Hu is on first.
    Who?
    Wen is this joke going to get old?
    I don't know.

chris_yang22 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast