Scientology Protest

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XI_YAN:
    May I point out the book on which this is based is an entirely fictional work with not even the slightest pretense at being 'inspired by god'.
    The essence of any religion is to believe in something essentially irrational and unproveable. This is called "faith". I can't see how anyone who holds such irrational beliefs can criticise anyone else for doing the same thing just because his irrational belief is different from your irrational belief.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    The essence of any religion is to believe in something essentially irrational and unproveable. This is called "faith". I can't see how anyone who holds such irrational beliefs can criticise anyone else for doing the same thing just because his irrational belief is different from your irrational belief.
    No I am not going to go there PDLM. I agree that it seems strange to pick on Scientology (though it really is way out there and probably does have some abusive practices) and not include others - Mormons for example, much richer, much more influential and again according to second hand information (so don't sue me) some very dodgy practices. Is it true that Scientology is banned in Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Is it true that Scientology is banned in Germany?
    I believe they are widely viewed as a cult, but I don't think that it's been outlawed yet.

Germany's Battle Against Scientology - TIME

Scientology is not a religion, but a cult organization that wants to correct the mind (thinking) of people. You pay for the training. I think it was explained in an earlier post. It is like Zen or Buddhism, where Right Thinking will make you a better person. Its hog-wash, but many people will do anything to improve their life. My advice: forget it. There are more meaningful things to protest.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I am a worried man. The longer I stay in Hong Kong the more I find myself concurring with almost every thing PDLM posts.

From PerryCo post
    I didn't realise you paid to be converted. Rather like LPG on your car then !

I propose a large scale demo ( when it gets a tad warmer ) against two known Satans that got paid for converting innocents - Six Sigma people and anyone with a China Mainland MBA. Brainwashing of the innocents and a total scandal.

Seems relevant !

Lightbulb

Alllllllllrighty seems to be two main arguments going on here;

1) Why pick on scientology for its beliefs, its no different than ....
    I'm not picking on scientologist for their beliefs, there are a group on the internet producing all of scientologies stuff for free, instead of for thousands of pounds and massive sacrifices; I think thats great, fine, absolutely no problem. It's what they do to their members I want to bring to light; massive debts, refusing medication, various punishing practices, it's censorship and illegality. So that people know what they're getting involved with, because they are picking up with great speed all over the world, and before I know it it could be my friends/family 'disconnected from me'. Granted it is not such a problem in HK obviously, i'm from the UK, and it IS a problem there, but I happen to be living here, and as an international day of protest....

2) Why don't you protest about....
    Scientology happens to be an interest of mine, and I don't have sufficient interest/knowledge to protest the things you talk about. You want to prostest about them; go ahead. Hey if you want to protest about me protesting feel free too! Perhaps protest is too strong a word; I just want to spread some awareness I guess.

Boris, since you are so adimantly convinced I know nothing whilst equally adimant not to find out what you are talking about(you didn't know they charged money for services? come on!). Also if I'm not worth listening to take note of the government reactions throughout the world;

"Scientology has been shut down in Greece, indicted in Spain, restricted in Russia, rebuffed by Sweden's highest court, expelled from college campuses in Norway, convicted of crimes in Canada and denied status as a charitable organization or a religion in most European countries. High-ranking Scientologists have been jailed in Italy, France and Spain in connection with what were called crimes associated with Scientology practices, and France keeps Scientology on a list of organizations that need to be monitored for cult activity."

and

"... Germany refuses to acknowledge Scientology as a religion. The country is not alone. Mexico, Israel, and Denmark have revoked Scientology's religious status, and last year, Greece closed down Scientology offices and refuses to allow them to operate. In June, Switzerland put Scientology under surveillance throughout the nation. The Swiss "suspect the association of pursuing totalitarian, and thereby constitutionally hostile, goals" [AFP, July 16, 1998]

Compare organised fascists/extreme racists to Scientologists though. I would guess (I have absolutely no facts) that there are a great deal more of the former than the latter in the world. The former attack innocent outsiders, the latter abuse their own members. For this reason I would protest (and have protested with the odd police conviction) against the former but not have the latter high on my list. Not attacking your right to protest against whatever you want, just I won't be there with you.

Tripspace
    You just don't get it do you.

No one cares. Not one micron of interest. Nada. Nothing. Zilch.
    Zero.

There are many things in the world that should be protested and that are important to brought to their knees. Go have a talk with anyone for Zimbabwe for starters and then move on from there.

Get a REAL PRODUCTIVE life and stop wasting the freedom that Article 27 and 32 of the basic law gives you.

Any religion that worships Star Trek can't be all that bad. (Seriously, Star Trek's like the Bible in that religion)

So here's a general question - if the Church of Scientology opened a branch in Kenya or Zimbabwe and started providing support to the populace in terms of food, water, shelter, education, etc. and helped to bring peace to the region, but in return, everyone had to become a scientologist, what would general opinion of that religion be then?